Can you add USB2.0 or Firewire to a PC?
May 7, 2004 at 2:50 AM Post #16 of 19
I'm 99% sure his isn't a KT333. SiSoft is reporting ours as a KT266 (as I thought), but KT333 CPU-PCI bridge. Whatever. I'll ask him when/if he gets on IM tonight.

As for WinXP supporting 2.0 natively, I've had to install MSI's drivers for it to work every time I've re-installed. Unless this is due to us having a KT266, as you said...

(-:Stephonovich:)

May 7, 2004 at 2:53 AM Post #17 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephonovich
I'm 99% sure his isn't a KT333. SiSoft is reporting ours as a KT266 (as I thought), but KT333 CPU-PCI bridge. Whatever. I'll ask him when/if he gets on IM tonight.

As for WinXP supporting 2.0 natively, I've had to install MSI's drivers for it to work every time I've re-installed. Unless this is due to us having a KT266, as you said...

You got my post a bit mixed. That MSI KT266A motherboard that he has is among the first to integrate a separate USB 2.0 controller chip on the motherboard. And WinXP with no Service Pack does not natively support USB 2.0 -- you'll need Service Pack 1 or higher.

May 7, 2004 at 2:57 AM Post #18 of 19
Ah, OK. Was confused.

But as for service packs, I did a network install of SP1 on the contents of the CD, ripped to the drive, then burned that, so now I get SP1 when it installs. Perhaps it's just an MSI quirk.

May 7, 2004 at 12:56 PM Post #19 of 19
i recently bought a ubs 2.0 card for my comp to use with my ipod mini. My computer is fairly old also, and my Motherboard doesn't support usb2. Works fine. They aren't too expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back