Can two dacs be used at the same time?
Mar 13, 2006 at 11:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

studeb

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

An ignorant question- can two DACS be used at the same time? What i was envisioning was one transport feeding two DACS - one for left one for right channel- each DAC running a monobloc amp. My reasoning was this way interconnects and speaker cables could be reduced to a few inches, with the digital signal running longer distances, this should minimise cable effects, and it could be almost the ultimate in digital playback. Can the DACS be synchronised? i presume the 75 Ohm signal can be run out to 12 feet. The non-used DAC output channel could be run into a dummy load, perhaps tailored the amp being driven.

Mar 14, 2006 at 3:11 PM Post #2 of 3
Sure. Or you could use mono amp chips and a digital filter to split them like the PCM1704 and DF1704. But the question really is why bother. There's so many better upgrades you can do then reducing the cable length like using 2 DACs per channel to reduce output errors.

I run a 12m cable between my DAC and my integrated and it sounds just as good as it does through a 1m cable.

Mar 14, 2006 at 3:24 PM Post #3 of 3
Jitter man.Two digital input receivers in parallel is not a good idea unless you take measures and why "raw" digital distribution systems are used in the pro arena.

you can not just tap/split/combine the digital stream without some consequences

Users who are viewing this thread

Back