Can This Be Done???
Oct 6, 2007 at 5:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

MrJingles

100+ Head-Fier
Ok DIYs, here's a good one. I'm looking to find a custom enclosure that will fit my portable rig you see below. I do understand that severe customizing would be needed. I need some guidance on what to get and how or who to do it.

Here are some criteria that I'm looking for:
One enclosure or two married together
Pretty tight fit around system
Light weight material
Access ipod and amp controls
Be able to switch out different sized amps..nothing drastic...Tomahawk, Move, Hornet...
Hook it to belt or at least a strap to hang around neck or waist

Thanks in advance!

DSCN2098-1.jpg

DSCN2097.jpg

DSCN2096.jpg

Oct 6, 2007 at 9:00 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrJingles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do understand that severe customizing would be needed.

Here are some criteria that I'm looking for:
One enclosure or two married together
Pretty tight fit around system
Light weight material
Access ipod and amp controls
Be able to switch out different sized amps..nothing drastic...Tomahawk, Move, Hornet...
Hook it to belt or at least a strap to hang around neck or waist

Definitely severe customizing!

Brainstorming..........

My first through would be that the two pieces plus a custom case and a battery or two is going to be too heavy for around your neck, and likely would cause your pants to fall down if clipped there. (well, you never know...)

Lightweight material: light grade aluminum (Hammond case) or even plastic (Serpac) would be a good place to start for a case. I think you'd make things easier if you were to cut openings in the (top of the) serpac case to accomodate the front controls on the iPod instead of hacking into it and mounting all of their controls somewhere. Plus, you'll still have access to the screen. Custom mounting things can eat up way too many hours.

Not sure how easy it would be to have interchangeable amps. This doesn't mate well with a small/transportable case idea because sizing issues are at a premium. You'll need the amount of space to be as large as the biggest thing you drop in there, obviously. Even if you take the Hornet out of it's enclosure, its going to be a different size inside your new case.

Neat idea, though. Go for it. I am also considering a similar item, but will take inputs from an iPod instead.

Oct 6, 2007 at 11:29 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhjazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Definitely severe customizing!

Brainstorming..........

My first through would be that the two pieces plus a custom case and a battery or two is going to be too heavy for around your neck, and likely would cause your pants to fall down if clipped there. (well, you never know...)

Lightweight material: light grade aluminum (Hammond case) or even plastic (Serpac) would be a good place to start for a case. I think you'd make things easier if you were to cut openings in the (top of the) serpac case to accomodate the front controls on the iPod instead of hacking into it and mounting all of their controls somewhere. Plus, you'll still have access to the screen. Custom mounting things can eat up way too many hours.

Not sure how easy it would be to have interchangeable amps. This doesn't mate well with a small/transportable case idea because sizing issues are at a premium. You'll need the amount of space to be as large as the biggest thing you drop in there, obviously. Even if you take the Hornet out of it's enclosure, its going to be a different size inside your new case.

Neat idea, though. Go for it. I am also considering a similar item, but will take inputs from an iPod instead.

Hey thanks for the advice. Please let me know what you end up doing. It may work for what I need.

Oct 7, 2007 at 12:48 AM Post #4 of 4
How about a new fiberglass backplate for the iPod, with a hump to fit the amp in it? Remove the amp from its case and mold the backplate around it so it becomes 'one' with the iPod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back