Can the UE-10s convert an IEM hater?
Sep 16, 2006 at 9:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Sleestack

Headphoneus Supremus
I've gone through the gamut of IEMs and really can't stand they way they feel or sound. I'm wondering if the custom molding of the UE-10 and the superior isolation and drivers can possibly address the comfort and sonic issues. I don't mind spending the money, but not if the experience is going to be much like the Etymotic or Shure experiences I have had.

Sep 16, 2006 at 9:24 AM Post #2 of 11
This is totally speculation on my part because I have no idea what the UE-10 sounds like, but...

If you have never liked any IEMs, I can't imagine that you'd like even the best IEM. It still has limited spatial imaging and still doesn't include the effects that the outer ear has on the sound.

I personally love the way that IEMs sound because you can hear so much more in the absense of ambient noise. Even the best full-size sealed phones can't do this like IEMs can.

Sep 16, 2006 at 9:25 AM Post #3 of 11
That depends, what is it specifically that you don't like about etymotic and shure IEMs?

If it's a comfort thing, there's not really any way to tell until you have a pair made.

If it's a soundstage thing, you're never going to compete with full sized open headphones.

As far as isolation goes, the UE-10s have pretty good isolation, but I wouldn't say it's better than what you'd get with an Ety or Shure IEM using fresh foamies.

They do have detail in spades. They can be very comfortable if they fit right. They image inside of their soundstage very well.... Again, it really depends upon what you don't like or what you're trying to "fix."

Sep 16, 2006 at 9:33 AM Post #4 of 11
What I hate about the Etymotics and Shures is that I feel I have to push them pretty far in my ear to create the proper seal. Sound quality severely suffers when I can't get a proper seal. Improved comfort is also key. I'm not expecting much in the soundstage department. Something along the lines of Etymotics with more bass would be nice as far sound goes.

Sep 16, 2006 at 12:21 PM Post #5 of 11
Sleestack - I had the same trouble with my E4c, I was always fiddling with them to stay in, or they would hurt. I had some Ety 4 for awhile and while the sound was great, they usually would hurt my ears after half an hour or so.

The Ety 6 tips are a lot more comfortable, but they require resealing often too. But I usually wore these for working out (the left channel just died ;( to this is past tense)

I did bite the bullet on UE-10pro. The fit is really nice, and comfortable. The sound is great too. The spaciousness of the 650 is not there of course. The sharpness and detail of my W5000 is there though.

I have a Hornet burning in now, and have some trips to take over the next couple of months, so I hope to get to know all my new gear better then.

So to your actually OP - yes, the customs should fix the fit/comfort issues. Everyone is different on what "good" sound is though, I am more than happy with my customs. The isolation is too much for me to wear much at the office, so I don't wear them much there. (have to make do with the main rig
3000smile.gif
)

Sep 16, 2006 at 4:52 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack
What I hate about the Etymotics and Shures is that I feel I have to push them pretty far in my ear to create the proper seal. Sound quality severely suffers when I can't get a proper seal. Improved comfort is also key. I'm not expecting much in the soundstage department. Something along the lines of Etymotics with more bass would be nice as far sound goes.

Yes, I think the UE-10 or any other custom could handle those issues. As far as comfort goes, you may have to get a couple of refits until they get it right, or you may get lucky and have it perfect right off the bat.

You may also try someone's Super.Fis since they don't insert as far... The Triple.fi is right around the corner and you may prefer a universal to a custom since there's less hassle involved and if you change your mind you can sell it. See if you can set up a mini meet with a Super.Fi owning Head-Fier in your area.
biggrin.gif

Sep 16, 2006 at 7:06 PM Post #7 of 11
Thanks for the input. It sounds like UE-10s might be the way to go for me. Comfort is my primary issue. I'm assuming the sound quality of the UE-10s is going to be good enough.

Now just to decide on color. Black and black or clear and clear?

Sep 16, 2006 at 7:27 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Thanks for the input. It sounds like UE-10s might be the way to go for me. Comfort is my primary issue. I'm assuming the sound quality of the UE-10s is going to be good enough.

Another option is getting a custom mould made for say a UM2 or the triple.fi, which would save you a few hundred bucks. I haven't read any people who disliked their custom IEMs.

Sep 16, 2006 at 9:58 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
That depends, what is it specifically that you don't like about etymotic and shure IEMs?

If it's a comfort thing, there's not really any way to tell until you have a pair made.

If it's a soundstage thing, you're never going to compete with full sized open headphones.

As far as isolation goes, the UE-10s have pretty good isolation, but I wouldn't say it's better than what you'd get with an Ety or Shure IEM using fresh foamies.

They do have detail in spades. They can be very comfortable if they fit right. They image inside of their soundstage very well.... Again, it really depends upon what you don't like or what you're trying to "fix."

All true. Also, given your super-highend stereo/speaker system, I doubt even the best IEMs would do it for you.

Sep 17, 2006 at 5:32 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

They can do literally ANYTHING to the appearence of these cans, so unless those are the only options you'd want, I wouldn't limit your imagination. Also, it might be worthwhile to take a trip to UE and have the impressions done there, I imagine it would guarantee the best first-time fit, and plus they're just really cool folks that work there.

Sep 17, 2006 at 11:22 AM Post #11 of 11
The UE 10 pro are very comfortable with the right fitting.
I tried the super.fi 5 pro and the E2c and although they were not very uncomfortable I always had problems with the left piece.
After I got my 10 pro I had a good idea why. My left ear canal is considerably smaller then the right one.
Although the first set of 10 pro were not perfect (but still a 100 % better then the universals) I will hope for the second go
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back