can the sound quality of sony bt-50 bluetooth stereo headphone match the sennheiser hd485?
Dec 1, 2008 at 8:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ykyagami

New Head-Fier
i'm going to buy a pair of full sized headphone but stuck in the middle of these two. i wonder can ever the sound quality of sony bt-50 match the hd485 or at least px100? pls help me..

Dec 1, 2008 at 10:02 AM Post #2 of 7
The problem with bluetooth headphones is that the signal is compressed when transmitted hence even if the headphones themselves are of good quality the sound output will never be of high fidelity

hence it cant sound as good as headphones with Cables.

If u do want hi fidelity in Wireless then checkout Wireless headphones by sennheiser.. as far as i know these wireless headphones do not undergo compression

Dec 1, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem with bluetooth headphones is that the signal is compressed when transmitted hence even if the headphones themselves are of good quality the sound output will never be of high fidelity

hence it cant sound as good as headphones with Cables.

If u do want hi fidelity in Wireless then checkout Wireless headphones by sennheiser.. as far as i know these wireless headphones do not undergo compression

Except that the Sennheiser wireless headphones are all not portable at all: They have a transmitter which must be plugged into the wall outlet (mains) in order for the headphones to even work at all.

As for the Bluetooth technology, it currently isn't quite there yet with regards to audio quality. And even with a really good-quality signal, no Sony full-sized headphone of any type provides as much bass punch as the Sennheiser HD 485 - and what bass the Sony headphones reproduce tends to be somewhat thick and murky. (In fact, I had briefly listened to the Sony DR-BT50, and it sounded too much like its corded cousin MDR-XD400 - bass is not particularly punchy, and the mids are somewhat honky.)

Dec 2, 2008 at 5:30 AM Post #4 of 7
i've 2 choices here.. the 1st is to buy the sony bt-50 to replace all my current headphones for the sake of portability.. the 2nd is to buy a hd485 for home listening & a medium-sized+cheap BT headphone for outdoor.. which choice makes much sense? does it really worth to buy bt-50 over hd485 just for the sake of portability?

Dec 2, 2008 at 6:18 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by ykyagami /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i've 2 choices here.. the 1st is to buy the sony bt-50 to replace all my current headphones for the sake of portability.. the 2nd is to buy a hd485 for home listening & a medium-sized+cheap BT headphone for outdoor.. which choice makes much sense? does it really worth to buy bt-50 over hd485 just for the sake of portability?

sry but 4get about the thread above.. i've made up my mind at last.. i''ll go for the sennehiser rs 140.
o2smile.gif
anyone has any opinion on rs 140? sound quality? comfort? cons?

Dec 2, 2008 at 10:13 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle_Driver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Except that the Sennheiser wireless headphones are all not portable at all: They have a transmitter which must be plugged into the wall outlet (mains) in order for the headphones to even work at all.

As for the Bluetooth technology, it currently isn't quite there yet with regards to audio quality. And even with a really good-quality signal, no Sony full-sized headphone of any type provides as much bass punch as the Sennheiser HD 485 - and what bass the Sony headphones reproduce tends to be somewhat thick and murky. (In fact, I had briefly listened to the Sony DR-BT50, and it sounded too much like its corded cousin MDR-XD400 - bass is not particularly punchy, and the mids are somewhat honky.)

u remember this year sennheiser launched MX W1 ..which is a wireless IEM? ..although they cost nearly as much as HD650

to the OP..if u got big budget..checkout MX W1..its wireless, its portable and its designed for music.

there is a review of it on head-fi..

see the pics:

MX_W1_Set__Large_.jpg

the transmitter can just be plugged into the Audio player...i did see it during the IT show but unfortunately couldnt audition them

Dec 2, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
u remember this year sennheiser launched MX W1 ..which is a wireless IEM? ..although they cost nearly as much as HD650

to the OP..if u got big budget..checkout MX W1..its wireless, its portable and its designed for music.

there is a review of it on head-fi..

see the pics:

MX_W1_Set__Large_.jpg

the transmitter can just be plugged into the Audio player...i did see it during the IT show but unfortunately couldnt audition them

I have not been following much in the way of new headphone developments of late. And the in-ear bud design is not for everyone.

What the OP was looking for (I believe) a conventional circumaural design that does not go inside the ear, is cordless, and does not need for the transmitter to be plugged into a wall mains. Unfortunately, in that category there is no really good sounding choice at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back