Can the Sennheiser CX300 possibly beat the HD212??
Mar 2, 2006 at 7:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

joe84

New Head-Fier
hello guys..

i have a sennheiser HD212 (completly burned in BTW) and i dont really like the sound they make, too much bassy and muddy and even when i set the EQ to fit these phones and my likings they still lack details and crispiness, and overall im not happy with the purchase.

i use it both on my computer and my portable player. (IRIVER IFP-795)

i am considering replacing them with the CX300, that will also give me the great advantage of having a real compact portable rig, but i dont know how the sound will compare. i want a more detailed sound with less "boomy" and more detaild sound and crisp highs, with the vocals sounding good. (the vocals sound horribly thin with the 212)

will the CX300 satisfy my demands or i need to go for a higher priced IEM's like the shure or UE's?? im not asking for an audiophile cans but i want an enjoyable and detailed listening experience, what im currently not getting from my HD212.

Mar 2, 2006 at 7:57 PM Post #2 of 14
Good question although not many here own the 212pro's. I'm gonna get the cx300 regardless of how they compare to the 212pro (all they are good for is gaming). Reading all the raves about this IEM i don't think you regreat the purchase. Going for IEM like Shure and alike is sortta dangerous, you'll allways wonder about the higher end
tongue.gif

Also bear in mind that no bud or IEM will replace the sound you get from a full sized can.. Just get one for the sake of its portability.

Mar 2, 2006 at 8:11 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peyotero
Good question although not many here own the 212pro's. I'm gonna get the cx300 regardless of how they compare to the 212pro (all they are good for is gaming). Reading all the raves about this IEM i don't think you regreat the purchase. Going for IEM like Shure and alike is sortta dangerous, you'll allways wonder about the higher end
tongue.gif

Also bear in mind that no bud or IEM will replace the sound you get from a full sized can.. Just get one for the sake of its portability.

what do you exacty mean with the last sentence..? i know its a completly diffrent sound and i wont get that "surround" feeling with an IEM but if the "pure sound" is better i think its worth it, and also im not sure about how much this sentence is true when talking about pretty cheap 'phones like the 212 and the CX300.

BTW i forget to mention i listen to mostly hip hop and techno music.

Mar 2, 2006 at 8:23 PM Post #4 of 14
The closest to the HD212 would probably be the Sony EX51 or EX71. Most of the other semi-canals like the CX300, panasonic, jvc, creative, sharp, also EX81 appear to have a more balanced sound presentation. Vocals will sound more forward.

Mar 2, 2006 at 8:25 PM Post #5 of 14
thanks.. how about overall details? punchier highs? and is there any reason other than portability to replace an HD212 for a CX300? (i managed to pretty much "balance" the 212's sound with a but of EQ work so thats not my real problem)

Mar 2, 2006 at 8:52 PM Post #6 of 14
I've gotten about 40-50 hours on my cx300, 24hr burn-in. Anyway, the bass is tight tight tight. It was really flabby and unbalanced when i got it but i really dig the sound now. But i'm going to reserve judgement till over 100 hours.

Mar 3, 2006 at 10:57 AM Post #9 of 14
No. Your question wasn't a "simple" one. If you'd ask "can the cx300 replace my mx500 or my noob ass iBuds"? You would get a definite answer.

If you think that money got to do with it then ask a different one "can the cx300 possibly beat the Koss Ksc75?" (it goes for like 13$) You would prolly get a "no".

Mar 3, 2006 at 8:23 PM Post #10 of 14
peyotero, thank you very much man!!! i just downloaded the headphone plugin for winamp that you linked to and it is AMAZING!!!!!! the 212's just came alive! the sound is so good on my computer and finally the vocals also sound good and not weak and ugly!

i could've never imagine Onboard sound card could sound so good, thanks again, too bad i cant install this plug in on my iriver player too :)

Mar 8, 2006 at 7:37 PM Post #11 of 14
Okie i'v got the cx300. I like them a lot! I'm listening for them right now out of the box and they are great! How do the cx300 and the hd212pro's compare? Well as i said, they don't.
One thing though, you wouldn't want any more bass in an ear bud/in-ear then those have.

If you bought them, you wouldn't regreat it. If you have a portable source and you like bass then those are the way to go.

Dunno how they would suit people who listen to classical music and alike. If money is a concern then i would reccomend the mx400 (never used the volume on the mx500. it's not worth it). If money is not an issue then higher IEMs are the way to go i guess.

Mar 8, 2006 at 9:03 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peyotero
Okie i'v got the cx300. I like them a lot! I'm listening for them right now out of the box and they are great! How do the cx300 and the hd212pro's compare? Well as i said, they don't.
One thing though, you wouldn't want any more bass in an ear bud/in-ear then those have.

If you bought them, you wouldn't regreat it. If you have a portable source and you like bass then those are the way to go.

Dunno how they would suit people who listen to classical music and alike. If money is a concern then i would reccomend the mx400 (never used the volume on the mx500. it's not worth it). If money is not an issue then higher IEMs are the way to go i guess.

Cool! Glad you like them. And they just get better with burn-in.
basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back