Can the Headmaster power the AKG 1000...
May 18, 2002 at 4:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

msjjr

100+ Head-Fier
...well enough to be worth pairing the two?

Thanks

May 18, 2002 at 3:08 PM Post #2 of 5
I don't think so. From what I have read, you need something in the range of 7-8 W output... I doubt it has that since it is a preamp/headphone amp. Do you know what the output rating is?

BTW: How are you enjoying that amp? Do you have upgrade desires? Maybe for a tube amp?

May 18, 2002 at 3:48 PM Post #3 of 5
I'm not so sure about that. The volume knob on the Headmaster starts at the 6 o'clock position for zero volume and travels around to 4 o'clock for full volume. I almost never have it past the 8 o'clock position and at that it's plenty loud! And we all know how much juice one needs to drive the HD 600's. The output rating on the Headmaster is 5 watts.

The amp is great!!! My current plan is to probably get the Twin Head tube preamp and another HD 600 so that I can compare an HD 600 with the Cardas cable and one with the Equinox on both of the amps to find out which combo works best for me. Eventually it will be a Sony R10 if I can score one without having to pay the outrageous duties and taxes that I'd have to pay to bring it across the border from the U.S.

May 18, 2002 at 4:14 PM Post #4 of 5
Excellent!
I am very interested in the twinhead myself. I have been eyeing that and the Moth, but I know I can get the Twinhead for cheap and in Canada, therefore no duty!

May 18, 2002 at 6:54 PM Post #5 of 5
The K1000s will take 1 watt at 120 ohms maximum. If I recall correctly, the Headmaster will deliver about 425 milliwatts max. Looking at the published specs, they say 5.5 volts at onset of clipping. Assuming it is capable of delivering that voltage into a load of 120 ohms which the k1000s are, that's only 250 milliwatts and that would be definitely underpowered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back