Can the Edition 8 Realistically Be a Portable Headphone?
Sep 8, 2009 at 8:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

NewMexiCat

100+ Head-Fier
That's my question, and I'd like to hear from Ed.8 owners out there. And no, my question does not concern whether or not it is wise to parade a $1500 headphone in public, although that is a good question as well. I'm more concerned with whether the actual physical size and weight of the Ed.8's impede their portability.

My current favorite portable headphone is the ESW9 (or 10JPN, if you are lucky enough to have one), and I don't think you would want to go much larger than that for a portable. However, the circumaural shape of the Ed.8 has the potential for more comfort and certainly delivers more isolation. But size-wise, are they quite a bit bigger than the ESW9? I'd love to hear form someone who has both.

I'm also obviously interested in a sound-signature comparison between the Ed.8 and the ESW9 or 10JPN.

Thanks!

Sep 24, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #3 of 9
Am I correct in reading your signature that you already own a pair? Seems to me you should be able to answer the question yourself. I myself would not "realistically" consider them a good choice for a portable headphone, but that is just me. Others may disagree.

Sep 24, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #4 of 9
ed8_2.jpg

ed8_4.jpg

Sep 25, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnielee54 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Am I correct in reading your signature that you already own a pair? Seems to me you should be able to answer the question yourself. I myself would not "realistically" consider them a good choice for a portable headphone, but that is just me. Others may disagree.

Well, I didn't own them when I asked the question. Now I do own them, so sure, I will answer my own question with a resounding [size=large]YES[/size], the Edition 8 can be an amazing portable headphone without feeling that you have some humungous apparatus around your head!

Let's put it this way: Anybody who finds the ESW9 or 10JPN acceptable for portable use would have no problem transitioning to the Edition 8. They do not seem or feel appreciably bigger when wearing them. The first thing you'll notice when wearing the Edition 8's outside is the incredible amount of isolation they provide. To me, the isolation rivals, and may actually surpass that of IEM's due to the circumaural design completely covering your ears. This eliminates not only background noise, but also a lot of wind resistance around your ears that you still pick up when wearing IEM's.

Obviously, with a headphone like the Edition 8, there are some limits to when you would want to use them. They are probably too bulky to wear when working out or doing any type of strenuous exercise. You might be uncomfortable wearing them on a crowded city street, given their "bling" factor. However, for commuting, travel, walking the dog, etc., I think the Edition 8's allow you to go portable without compromise.

One caveat: Ultrasone's design gives one the indication that their goal was to achieve a circumaural design in the smallest possible form-factor. For my head and ears, they are comfortable. The pads do not touch my ears, but very snugly surround them. The headband is quite snug, but not uncomfortable, even after a couple hours of listening. However, if you have a larger than normal head or ears (whatever normal is), then the Ed 8 may not be for you.

That being said, I love them, and they are now my go-to, no compromise portable/travel headphone. The only thing I would like to find is an appropriately sized hard case for travel, as I worry that the leather bag that comes with them might not supply enough protection if they are jostled around in a heavy backpack.

Sep 25, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #6 of 9
The problem that I would have with using them as aportable is they are to damn nice. When I think portable, I am willing to sacrifice some sound quality to have something that I can be a little less careful with. I tend to limit my price for portables to 100 - 150 max. But that is just me and I don't fault anyone for differing opinions. If it works for you, awsome.

Sep 25, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #7 of 9
I do not find the isolation to be anywhere near on par with iem's but otherwise absolutely love them

Sep 25, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do not find the isolation to be anywhere near on par with iem's but otherwise absolutely love them

Well, perhaps I misspoke. Let me clarify. Due to the circumaural design, it's a different sort of isolation. If you are listening in a quiet room and someone comes in and speaks or turns on the TV, IEMs will block those sounds better. However, if you are using them outdoors in a portable setting, I think the Ed 8's do a better job of isolating you from wind noise and vibrations from movement because your entire ear is covered.

Sep 25, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #9 of 9
Ah yes, that could quite possibly be correct

Users who are viewing this thread

Back