Can someone explain to me what a troll is & it's intended purpose?
Oct 28, 2009 at 7:20 AM Post #46 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by frozenice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
.... so are fan boys.

I always thought of it as a yin/yang thing between the trolls and fanboys, just keeping the universe in balance and harmony.

Wow. That line just made my day.
o2smile.gif

Oct 30, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #47 of 53
Honestly, the only reason I asked is that people seem to ask(or state) if something seems to be a "troll" to them . I consider most of what I read as nothing more than opinions. I may agree or disagree,but I don't see where anything warrants a "Is this a troll?". Unless you are missing some basic decision making skills(& I'm talking very basic) it gets pretty tiresome seeing this question posed over & over. It's not that important! If you want to diagree with some numbskull(who may not have enough intellect to be objective) be my guest, but please stop w/ this silly "troll" nonsense (unless you still believe in the one that hides under bridges, in which case you should probably be looking on mental health forums). Where do the internet geeks come up with these nonsense terms? Does it make them feel clever! How special! I know you can call it "looking for dopes who want to argue w/ me because I'm right" . Enough w/ the "cute" internet terms, some of us find it insulting. Many of you thought this was a "troll"? Nope, just a wake up call. (I can only hope!) Most of us are full of crap to somebody! (Don't answer that!!! I can live w/ that)

Oct 30, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #48 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Podtweaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly, the only reason I asked is that people seem to ask(or state) if something seems to be a "troll" to them . I consider most of what I read as nothing more than opinions. I may agree or disagree,but I don't see where anything warrants a "Is this a troll?". Unless you are missing some basic decision making skills(& I'm talking very basic) it gets pretty tiresome seeing this question posed over & over. It's not that important! If you want to diagree with some numbskull(who may not have enough intellect to be objective) be my guest, but please stop w/ this silly "troll" nonsense (unless you still believe in the one that hides under bridges, in which case you should probably be looking on mental health forums). Where do the internet geeks come up with these nonsense terms? Does it make them feel clever! How special! I know you can call it "looking for dopes who want to argue w/ me because I'm right" . Enough w/ the "cute" internet terms, some of us find it insulting. Many of you thought this was a "troll"? Nope, just a wake up call. (I can only hope!) Most of us are full of crap to somebody! (Don't answer that!!! I can live w/ that)

I'm assuming you're very new, or at least, not very familiar with Message Forums. The use of the word "troll" on this particular forum is a bit hyperbolic sometimes, and not always indicative of the typical message board troll. Usually a troll does not express opinions so much as act mischievous. A better representation of a troll would be someone who joins the forum and makes a post of cuss words without interacting with the original intent of the thread at all. This person is usually a pre-teen or teen looking for a quick laugh or cheap excitement. Sort of the internet equivalent of a flasher.

What you seem to be objecting to on this forum is not so much the word "troll" but how you perceive it is used on this forum specifically. Folks on this forum tend to stretch the meaning of troll to anyone or any opinion which has the potential to turn a thread into what's called a "flame war". A flame war is where a thread (a series of posts) devolves into people arguing very passionately over sometimes insignificant matters. I believe there are certain rules to prevent particular flames on this forum, for instance, as I understand it, it is verboten to discuss double blind testing of cables because every time a thread focuses on this discussion it just makes people angry.

Does that help at all?

Oct 30, 2009 at 11:36 PM Post #49 of 53
troll-bank-all.jpg

Rub bellies. Be happy.

Oct 31, 2009 at 5:05 AM Post #50 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by adrift /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm assuming you're very new, or at least, not very familiar with Message Forums. The use of the word "troll" on this particular forum is a bit hyperbolic sometimes, and not always indicative of the typical message board troll. Usually a troll does not express opinions so much as act mischievous. A better representation of a troll would be someone who joins the forum and makes a post of cuss words without interacting with the original intent of the thread at all. This person is usually a pre-teen or teen looking for a quick laugh or cheap excitement. Sort of the internet equivalent of a flasher.

What you seem to be objecting to on this forum is not so much the word "troll" but how you perceive it is used on this forum specifically. Folks on this forum tend to stretch the meaning of troll to anyone or any opinion which has the potential to turn a thread into what's called a "flame war". A flame war is where a thread (a series of posts) devolves into people arguing very passionately over sometimes insignificant matters. I believe there are certain rules to prevent particular flames on this forum, for instance, as I understand it, it is verboten to discuss double blind testing of cables because every time a thread focuses on this discussion it just makes people angry.

Does that help at all?

You sir, are absolutely correct!! In retrospect I suppose it was my perceived definition of how people do tend to stretch the meaning. Flame wars are probably almost as silly as true trolls(it bothers me to even use that term: just too 'geeky' for my taste)

I guess I've just been feeling a bit 'Curmudgeonlly' lately, but thanks for taking the time to help put my thoughts in order! Hey, most of the time I can decipher my thinking . Well, some of the time I can!

Oct 31, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #51 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Podtweaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You sir, are absolutely correct!! In retrospect I suppose it was my perceived definition of how people do tend to stretch the meaning. Flame wars are probably almost as silly as true trolls(it bothers me to even use that term: just too 'geeky' for my taste)

I guess I've just been feeling a bit 'Curmudgeonlly' lately, but thanks for taking the time to help put my thoughts in order! Hey, most of the time I can decipher my thinking . Well, some of the time I can!

You're welcome. A lot of the lingo on the internet is pretty geeky, at least "troll" more or less epitomizes a certain behavior type. There's some geek speak (my phrase for it) that makes no sense at all unless you visit specific image boards regularly. That I know anything about "image boards" borders on about enough geek as I can usually handle in a day
biggrin.gif

Oct 31, 2009 at 10:42 AM Post #53 of 53
I am regarded to be a troll sometimes.

I tend to utter critical "come on, it's just another headphone with mediocre XYZ abilities" comments, especially when that thing has holy cow state here (O2, GS1K, HD800, ...), and I have some offensive "old europe" scepticism in respect of excessive gearitis (to have is to be).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back