Can someone explain to me what a troll is & it's intended purpose?
Oct 26, 2009 at 6:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

Podtweaker

100+ Head-Fier
I guess I've always been curious about this from the time I started visiting forums. It appears some of us get pretty upset if they suspect one. My other question is why should someone even pay that much attention to something they consider nonsensical or ficticious ? To my knowledge the "Truth Police" can't protect everyone no matter how hard they try! Some people insist they don't need the help.

Oct 26, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #2 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Podtweaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess I've always been curious about this from the time I started visiting forums. It appears some of us get pretty upset if they suspect one. My other question is why should someone even pay that much attention to something they consider nonsensical or ficticious ? To my knowledge the "Truth Police" can't protect everyone no matter how hard they try! Some people insist they don't need the help.

I don't understand the question... There is no intended purpose... at least not by those being trolled. The reason people troll is because they seek attention...

Its not desired by the online community and its often hard to ignore. That's why God created moderators.

Oct 26, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #3 of 53
Clear enough?
Quote:

A troll is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

Troll (Internet) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Oct 26, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #6 of 53
I thought they only lived under bridges and menaced goats?

Oct 26, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #7 of 53
Classically a troll is a person (or post) that takes a position solely for the purpose of irritating the rest of the community - a "successful" troll gets lots of bites - i.e. people replying to either debunk the troll's argument or generally disagree.

The trollish poster wants this, they can then engage in a random debate they have no real investment in for a little while. If members of the community actually get upset over this debate, the trollish poster is doubly successful.

However, the term often gets misused - people who don't know any better (and a few that do) use the term troll for posts or posters that they don't agree with or just plain don't like. One can also be a jerk without being a troll.

See also: Sock puppet.

Oct 26, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #8 of 53
You sure this troll thread isn't a troll itself? I LOL @ this thread.
biggrin.gif

Oct 26, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #9 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by fenixdown110 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You sure this troll thread isn't a troll itself? I LOL @ this thread.
biggrin.gif

I figured it might be but thought I'd bite anyways. Figured that's what manaox2 was warning everyone about too.

Oct 26, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #10 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by adrift /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I figured it might be but thought I'd bite anyways. Figured that's what manaox2 was warning everyone about too.

The entire point of trolling is to subtly try to piss people off for your own amusement. I don't think the OP's post is inflammatory in any way, thus not trolling. And if he is trying to troll then I suggest he refine his technique.

Oct 26, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #11 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Podtweaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You could be a troll..
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 26, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #13 of 53
Everyone here is a troll!

Oct 26, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #14 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cables do make a huge difference and if you don't agree it is obvious that you have a bad system and/or tin ears.

Yeah, good example. Every time someone posts something like this, or even says they like a certain cable, the trolls come out to argue about it.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back