Can personal media players play FLAC files to a USB DAC ?
Mar 13, 2006 at 7:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Spiug31

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,
Will any of these (iAudio, iriver, ipod, Cowan a2 etc. ) be able to play FLAC files to a USB DAC ?
Are there others that can ?

I am looking for a simple dedicated method for playing FLAC audio files through a USB DAC. I only need a few gigabytes of storage and these digital music players look ideal.

hope you can help, I have a feeling this isn't as simple as it seems.

Mar 13, 2006 at 11:02 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by labrat
No, not simple at all!
You need a device that can play FLAC, and stream your files out to the USB-out.
None of these players can

That's not exactly true.
Any DAP with USB host capabilities and Rockbox compatibility would do the trick.

Mar 13, 2006 at 12:30 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

So you are saying an iPod can do this?
Or an iRiver?
I would really like someone, you preferrably, to do a test and show this!

I did test an Iriver H340/Rockbox/FLAC connected to the USB input of my Aqvox DAC lately, and it did work.

Mar 13, 2006 at 1:26 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

So the RockBox support USB streaming?
Does the iRiver H140 and the iPod also have USB streaming in RockBox, and do you know where /what builds/plugins for this can be found?
Thanks!

I don't know anything about other players, I just plugged an Iriver owned by a friend of mine into my DAC and it worked.
Maybe the easiest way to get specific information for your needs is asking the developer community over at rockbox.org.

Mar 14, 2006 at 2:29 AM Post #12 of 16
In that case I am intrigued as well then.
rolleyes.gif

Mar 14, 2006 at 8:35 AM Post #13 of 16
I know for a fact that the iRiver H1x0 models don't have USB host capabilities, but the iRiver H3x0 models do.

Check out the devices listed under the header "mobile USB-host devices" on this page to get a non-exhaustive list of mobile devices with USB host capabilities:
http://www.aqvox.de/products.html

Mar 14, 2006 at 11:47 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Yes, I have looked at that already, as said before.
But that do mean, if it is correct, that an iRiver H3X0 can be hooked up with, say, a Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro miniature USB-DAC.
A great portable set-up, if it works?
And still also, in the RockBox.org community it is said that the H3x0 "can not stream audio over the USB-port"?

I have to apologize for the confusion.
I just asked my buddy what we exactly did when we tested the USB-host capability of his Iriver H340 connected to my Aqvox DAC.
I somewhat confused it with my own player.My player (Iriver H120) does provide an optical out and equipped with Rockbox it does support FLAC, and this way I can get a lossless stream to the DAC.
Rockbox doesn't support "USB on-the-go", and my friend did boot his player from the original Iriver firmware for the test.The Iriver firmware doesn't support any lossless format, so what we actually listened to were high quality MP3s transferred via USB.
Again, sorry for my initial misleading post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back