can lossless compressing cause jitter?
Mar 14, 2006 at 10:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

uzziah

Headphoneus Supremus
just got to thinking about lossless compression and this question popped up. i don't honestly know how you could losslessly compress any music, and in my mind i see a stream of 0's and 1's squished together
smily_headphones1.gif
how exactly can you compress a data stream without lossing data or spacing between data? how does flac or whatever actually make less space but with all the data? are we loosing the spacing between the numbers? i assume it's something completely different that i don't understand, but perhaps someone can help me out

Mar 14, 2006 at 10:36 PM Post #3 of 6
Lossless compression is representing the same information, just using fewer bits.

To give you an idea, there is simple form of called Run Length encoding.

At its simplest form, rather than say

RLE might say

0:8,1:5,0:3,1:8

Same info, less space.

Flac is just data compression for audio data. (it doesnt use RLE by the way)

More on data compression here

http://www.data-compression.com

So lossless compression just stores the original data in less space than the original raw data, and can uncompress to produce the same raw data.

This is orthogonal to jitter.

Can the same bits, clocked out of a memory buffer, into a DAC, produce jitter.

Possibly.

The buffer doesnt care where the bits came from, or what form they were stored in prior to arrivael in the buffer.

Its down to the accuracy of the clock out, not the bits. (Assumining the case the buffer never empties).

To recap - in short no.

Mar 17, 2006 at 5:32 AM Post #6 of 6
It can be confusing reading about audio related math. There are people that have everything ripped in .wav and refuse to use FLAC/APE because they don't understand how it could "really" be lossless.

Go read a nice article on how a DAC works................thats fun

Users who are viewing this thread

Back