can KSC75s > bose? :D?
Feb 16, 2005 at 2:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

rob1031

100+ Head-Fier
hmmm.. just wondering, as they're so hyped here. i just wanna bring them to school (getting them soon..) and can in some circumstance say that these are better than the bose (he uses the acoustic noise cancelling ones, the metal casing ones if you dont know) that he has at a fraction of the price
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

or not....
confused.gif

Feb 16, 2005 at 3:33 PM Post #2 of 12
I tried the noise-cancelling ones at my local mall-- I don't think they're too terrible. The noise isolation without having to use an in-ear canalphone is pretty nice. It's just that, for the $$$ ($15-20), the KSC-75's are a helluva bargain.. they're my main cans right now, because they let me enjoy the music the most, listening to the tunes instead of the equipment it's being played through..

Feb 16, 2005 at 3:35 PM Post #3 of 12
Price high or price low, I just find that I never am able to think of Bose as anything but terrible since I've heard so much that's far better (at comparable prices, much lower prices and much greater prices...). I think my modded KSC-75 sounds much better than the triports they had for demo purposes at the apple retailer where I bought my Mini.

Feb 16, 2005 at 3:58 PM Post #4 of 12
not really a fair comparison because one is isolating/noise reducing and the KSC is open. But IMHO in a quiet environment the KSC75 is superior for the $$$

Garrett

Feb 16, 2005 at 3:59 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeriyn
I think my modded KSC-75 sounds much better...

modded KSC-35? eh... may i ask how you modded them? is there something i missed? please share your secret :wink:

Feb 16, 2005 at 4:40 PM Post #6 of 12
Try removing the foam pads and attaching the Ety p-s converter or Xin's 75ohm plug. I got that from Dr. Xin's site. Hook it up to a little amp and the KSC-35 smoothens out a lot.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 16, 2005 at 4:48 PM Post #7 of 12
Nothing special, I just changed the foam pads for some stuff I made out of a thinner foam that I got... somewhere. Don't ask me where, I have no idea where it came from, but it's softer and more comfy and didn't affect the sound. Also I soldered a 47ohm 1/8 watt 1% metal-film resistor onto each signal lug, bumping up the phone's "impedance" to 107ohm. (Not really the phones' impedance, that's actually raising the output impedance of whatever headphone amp I plug them into, but it makes the -75's sound a lot better IMO.)

Feb 16, 2005 at 6:39 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeriyn
Nothing special, I just changed the foam pads for some stuff I made out of a thinner foam that I got... somewhere. Don't ask me where, I have no idea where it came from, but it's softer and more comfy and didn't affect the sound. Also I soldered a 47ohm 1/8 watt 1% metal-film resistor onto each signal lug, bumping up the phone's "impedance" to 107ohm. (Not really the phones' impedance, that's actually raising the output impedance of whatever headphone amp I plug them into, but it makes the -75's sound a lot better IMO.)

Curious how did it alter the sound? can you elaborate? does it mellow out the mids/highs?

My project can is an MDRV6 with koss 60 ohm drivers. the highs are much hotter than my KSC75, and the sensitivity is higher with the driver in an enclosed cup. Would adding a resistor inline help? Im not concerned about volume attenuation, unless it renders them inaudible.

thanks,
Garrett

Feb 16, 2005 at 6:54 PM Post #10 of 12
I have Koss PortaPros, which I love with my iPod. Do the KSC75's use the same drivers? Apart from style, what other differences if any? Thanks!

Feb 16, 2005 at 7:04 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lt_Core
I have Koss PortaPros, which I love with my iPod. Do the KSC75's use the same drivers? Apart from style, what other differences if any? Thanks!

Yes same drivers... do a search... been discussed in the recent past.
IMHO the PP is bassier than the KSC75 and less open sounding.

Garrett

Users who are viewing this thread

Back