Can IEMs be as good as over-ear headphones?
May 23, 2020 at 2:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

thekksia

New Head-Fier
I want a better quality gear, but only IEM, however I see that on ear and over-ear headphones dominate most conversations. This made me wonder if IEMs worth spending a lot of money on?

May 23, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #2 of 24
Depends on what you're looking for. I think IEMs can be better than full size headphones in areas like detail retrieval, especially since IEMs do a much better job at blocking outside sound than any full size headphone can. On the other hand full size headphones, especially open headphones have a big leg up when it comes to soundstage for instance.

May 23, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #3 of 24
I think they have different types of sound. Can't really describe the difference in sound but IEMs have comfort and portability beaten on headphones in my opinion. IEMs rarely go over 20g while headphones easily go for hundreds of grams, won't make you head feel hot and give you a nice hair dent. I like both of them equally, even use my IEMs on my desk set up. Sometimes you crave for that intimacy.

May 23, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #4 of 24
Honestly I’m so newbie I don’t even know what I’m looking for. I want to spend ~$100, but I don’t want large and hot headphones so I’m looking at IEMs.

I would use it on spotify premium, laptop and smartphones.

May 23, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #5 of 24
Honestly I’m so newbie I don’t even know what I’m looking for. I want to spend ~$100, but I don’t want large and hot headphones so I’m looking at IEMs.

I would use it on spotify premium, laptop and smartphones.
I you like a slightly more Bassier set, I'd recommend the L3. It's slightly over $100. Others to consider are:
Moondrop Starfield.
Blon03
Tin T2
Tin T4

May 23, 2020 at 4:20 PM Post #6 of 24
They do look nice, but they are not available where I live and taxes/shipping would cost more than the headphones :frowning2: But I see that $100 is still reasonable for these small IEMs then.

Last edited:
May 23, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #7 of 24
They do look nice, but they are not available where I live and taxes/shipping would cost more than the headphones :frowning2: But I see that $100 is still reasonable for these small IEMs then.
I believe so, and I think around the $100 range, IEMs would be a better choice IMO.

May 23, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #8 of 24
What you think of Audio Technica ATH-CKR70iS? The company seems prestigious and reliable for me as an
“outsider”, what keeps me hesitating is that I found surprisingly very little reviews and opinions about the IEM and that its frequency range is 5-40000 Hz which is kinda unusal

May 23, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #9 of 24
What you think of Audio Technica ATH-CKR70iS? The company seems prestigious and reliable for me as an
“outsider”, what keeps me hesitating is that I found surprisingly very little reviews and opinions about the IEM and that its frequency range is 5-40000 Hz which is kinda unusal
Honestly, I have no idea, Audio Technica hasn't been very popular in the West. Can't say I have much to say about them. 5-40,000 Hz is your typical jargon of "this produces sound"

May 23, 2020 at 6:16 PM Post #10 of 24
Within the $100 range, Chi-Fi might be your goto for IEMs. Do you know what you are considering? As someone else mentioned, the Tin T2 and T4 are great options to start with.

May 23, 2020 at 6:18 PM Post #11 of 24
Yes, IEMs can be as good as full size headphones, as @HipHopScribe said.

I had several headphones between 150 and 600 and when I got my Moondrop Kanas Pro ($180) it was the beginning of my transformation to IEM listener.

at your budget I’d look at the Moondrop Starfield.
Just consider that getting the right fit and seal is extremely important to get the best comfort and sound quality.

May 23, 2020 at 9:58 PM Post #13 of 24
I really like the design of the Tin T4 and the Moondrop Starfield, they are just not available where I live and the shipping would be expensive or like a month long.

Do you mind telling us what country you want to order from? Or if you're not comfortable with sharing that, maybe a region?

May 24, 2020 at 6:53 AM Post #15 of 24
Back in 2014-2016 I purchased a bunch of $100 full-size headphones, though looking back, they are not that impressive? I’ve been using full size audiophile headphones in my own various systems since 1982.

I’d say finding $100 IEMs that are Chi-Fi are going to be your best bet. Other full-size in that price bracket seem not to be as good sounding for the money. If I had a chance to listen to Audio Technica M-50s or something like a pair of BGVP DM6 IEMs......the DM6s would be far more enjoyable. Actually both the BGVP DM6 or M50s are more than $100 but just using those as examples. There is probably many opinions as to which is better; full-size or IEMs. Folks gravitate towards one or the other it seems. BUT the main differences are IEMs can be harder to get correct fit. They have to go inside your ear canal and create an air-tight fit, where full-size simply go over your ears.

There is more of an issue here with IEMs not fitting people, rather than full-size not fitting.

Finally the response from an IEM has the soundstage both inside your head and outside, where full-size just put the soundstage outside.

Another plus with IEMs is they are easy to drive, and run better off low power as a rule.

Good-luck!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back