Can I wash my Sennheiser HD800 earpads?
Nov 3, 2014 at 9:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Peter_S

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all.  I just bought a pair of used HD800's and the earpads have a fragrance to them I'd like to eliminate.  Can anyone give me advise about how to wash them?  I don't know if it's a good idea, but if it is OK, I would guess warm water and dish soap, press the moisture out into a towel, let them air dry fully. 

Has anybody washed their HD800 earpads with success?

Thanks, Peter

Nov 3, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #3 of 22
Hi all.  I just bought a pair of used HD800's and the earpads have a fragrance to them I'd like to eliminate.  Can anyone give me advise about how to wash them?  I don't know if it's a good idea, but if it is OK, I would guess warm water and dish soap, press the moisture out into a towel, let them air dry fully. 

Has anybody washed their HD800 earpads with success?

Thanks, Peter

I don't own the hd 800s but i dont think that would be in your best interest. It would probably ruin the pad

Nov 3, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #4 of 22
You can take the earpads off and soak them in warm water then air dry.
At first the ear pads may be difficult to come off but it is doable.
I don't recommend washing them while they are still on the headphone.....

Nov 4, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #5 of 22
I didn't get the impression that the OP planned on washing them while they're on the headphone, but I assumed removing them first was the only way to wash any earpds. Do NOT wash the earpads while they're on the headphones.

Nov 4, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #10 of 22
Here is the official word from Sennheiser:

"You cannot really "wash" the pads as soaps and solvents can break down the foam and other materials in the pad. All you can really do is wipe them down with a warm damp cloth and then let them air dry. Maybe you might even spray them with some Febreze to get that scent off. It might seem ridiculous but maybe you might even try removing the pads and bringing them to a dry cleaner? Worst case scenario you would just need to buy a new pair of pads and install them."

When I replied and asked whether there might be SOME safe cleaner, like a dilute mild detergent, he replied:

"Honestly I'm sure there might be some safe solvent out there but we must say "don't use any soap", so that when/if our customers do use soap and then possibly damage their pads it's not falling back on us. I really cannot suggest you use any soap or cleaning solution, but you can make the final decision on that if you feel a certain cleaning product claims to be safe or "gentle". As I said, I would just do a few passes with a warm damp cloth and then a spray or two of Febreze to kill the scent."

Nov 4, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #11 of 22
If you don't want to risk washing them, I'd spray diluted 40% alcohol on the earpads (again, take 'em off first), let dry, then spray on the Febreze and let dry. Not sure about how much it will break down the foam vs the HD600, but I've washed my older pair around ten times already. After drying, and of course I alternate between two pairs so each actually sits unused for a few weeks before I switch again, they go back to their original shape.

Note the HD800 pads are more delicate given they're thinner, so at the very least if you are going to try washing them, no need to vigorously rub them together (I've seen some kind of video or photo guide on how to clean the HD600 pads, but I don't take it that far).

Of course, if it's not really a ranced enough stank that you would suspect that too much sweat seeped into the foam, you could always start with putting them into a sandwich bag filled with baking soda. After that you can probably put them in a new bag and put in dryer sheets (like Bounce) if you like.

Nov 9, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #12 of 22
Had the same question so I tired it
hand washed in a small amount of Palmolive dish soap and air dry 

before

after

under different lighting but its a big difference in person

Nov 9, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #13 of 22
Fortunately, the situation resolved on its own and no washing was needed. When I first acquired the headphones, it turns out that the slight fragrance was likely from standard shampoo residuals, head and shoulders to be exact! Just letting them sit for a week, about all of that fragrance was able to diffuse, and no there is no detectable or negative remnant fragrance. Happy for that,

Thanks for posting the photos of before and after. On your after photo, has the wind or ripped or something? It seems like some gray plastic is exposed?

Apr 4, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #15 of 22
I can't put my new replacement earpads back onto the frame of the HD-800's. If someone could tell me how to press them back into place
I would be forever grateful. There must be a trick and I DON'T KNOW WHAT IT IS!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE HELP ME???   this has gotten really
frustrating no doubt. I've tried everything I can think, once they magically went together and I don't know exactly how I did it.

please, please, please, please help me
Keith

Users who are viewing this thread

Back