Can I use my old logitech sub?
Feb 1, 2013 at 9:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Zowzout123

New Head-Fier
I currently have the Logitech 2.1 system the Z2300 and I was wanting to upgrade and considering going to the Audioengine A5+ Premium Powered Speaker Pair and wanted to know if there would be any possible way to use the sub woofer from the Logitech set just for the added bass?  The main reason I am interested in doing this is because the sub from Audioengine is about another $350, on top of the $400 for the speakers.  Honestly the speakers themselves are quite a stretch on budget, but I kind of want to treat myself.  

Thanks to anyone who responds! :)

Feb 1, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #2 of 8
Little desktop multimedia subs are designed to fill in all the missing midbass from the tiny driver speakers they go with. Even if you can figure out how to hook it up, I wouldn't expect much.

See this post on CNET:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57439115-47/build-your-own-desktop-stereo-for-under-$70/

And this thread on head-fi

http://www.head-fi.org/t/627161/my-very-low-budget-nearfield-desktop-rig-lepai-amp-and-dayton-audio-speakers

However, for under $400, you can do better:

Infinity Primus P163 ($60 + shipping at Frys)

Lepai TA2020 ($20 at Amazon)

JBL Studio 1 Series SUB150P ($175 at Newegg)

That JBL is a good home audio sub, and the Infinity Primus are very good bookshelf speakers.

Note with that sub, you would have to use a splitter to the Lepai and the sub. Then use the volume control on your computer to control volume after you match the sub and speaker output.

Feb 1, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for taking the time to reply with a lot of good information!

I have a few questions as well, I really wanted to go with the Audioengines because of the clarity and hearing a lot of really good things about them.  I am wondering just how much of a step up your budget stereo system might sound over the Logitech Z2300's I currently have.  They arent bad by any means, I just want something better.  If its a small upgrade, dropping $100 for that doesnt seem worth it to me.

Secondly, the 2nd list you put up, I might be interested in that if it might give me a good overall balance for clarity and sound.  I listen to music a good bit and I play a lot of games, and it wasnt until recently when I bought my AD700 headphones instead of 'gaming' headsets, that I really started to see just how much of a difference there is in audio items in general.  Thats why I want something thats very clear but has punch too it as well.

Thanks for the information :)

Feb 1, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #4 of 8
um well by the look of it and from being a logitech user but not a Audioengine user,
id say given the appearance the Audioengine would be far superior in design and quality, but thats just my 2cs

Feb 2, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #5 of 8
The lepai tamp is very good for $20, but eventually you would want to upgrade to an amp or receiver. The Infinitys are very good entry level speakers, definitely better than the Daytons, and then with that sub, you would have great bass.

Feb 2, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #7 of 8
The Logitechs can't compete with the Infinity Primus. The reason the Logitechs are popular is because of their small size for fitting on a desk and all-in-one 2.1 package that you can walk out the store with, not because they have great audio fidelity in comparison to home audio speakers. It's physics. The P163s are more full range bookshelf speakers that regularly sell close to $200 with 6.5" drivers. These are entry level home audio speakers that you could build a home theater with. Like the A5s, they can be run without a sub and still sound good because of their frequency response. They have midbass output. So comparing the Logitech speakers to the Infinity Primus is a lot like comparing a moped to a motorcycle. LOL

I went from from Klipsch Promedia 2.1 to Cambridge Audio S30s (fairly comparable to the Infinity Primus) using an old AVR as the power source in my first upgrade to passive bookshelf speakers. I didn't have a sub at the time to use with them, but the difference was night and day in overall SQ. That's what you are improving upon here--getting away from tiny cheap drivers. The Infinity Primus probably come close to competing with the Audioengine A5s, and may even sound better depending on your particular tastes.

Then with the sub, that's an 8" driver on the Logitech that has 50w rms amplifier output. Compare to the 10" with 300w rms of the JBL. A 10" has more speaker surface and produce more bass than an 8", and then the amplifier power is significantly more. The JBL has strong usable output down to 30hz, which I'm sure the Logitech does not. Here's a review of the JBL: http://www.avhub.com.au/images/stories/australian-hifi/reviews/2011-05_to_12/2011-11/jbl_sub150p_subwoofer_review_lores.pdf

As I said, the weakest link is the Lepai. But if you read that other thread, then you know that people say it works wonderfully for $20. Then six months or a year from now if you want an upgrade, watch your local Craiglist for a used Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha, or Pioneer AVR. Probably easily find one for under $100 if you live anywhere with an active CL.

Feb 2, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #8 of 8
Thanks for the additional information, would you be able to list an upgraded item you might select over the Lepai since you consider it the weak link?

Thanks again for all the fantastic information.  Im considering strongly to get the Infiniti setup for the computer speakers and that JBL sub, and now also contemplating getting some stuff for a home theater setup either with the same infinitis of the P363 tower speakers along with the center channel speaker.  Thanks to this forum I have been checking into a lot more audio stuff!  I appreciate everyones input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back