can I power hd595 (50 ohm) with emu 0202?
Jul 27, 2008 at 6:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

atomicampao

New Head-Fier
Good day all! I'm relatively new to the world of headphone hi-fi and am thinking of investing in a used EMU 0202 (as these type of items are pretty hard to come by here in the Philippines). Will I be able to properly drive my hd595's with the emu's headphone out or would you still recommend that I use a separate amplifier?

Thanks,
-Dino

Jul 27, 2008 at 7:40 PM Post #2 of 11
A little help, please...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 27, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #4 of 11
Hey Dino!

The 595's are supposed to be relatively easy to drive. I've heard them through an ipod and they sounded fine, but haven't heard them through an amp yet, so I can't compare.

My main test is to try possible phones with certain tracks straight out of my laptop. For example, I use Pascal Roge's recording of Debussy's "Claire De Lune". During the first swell at around the 1 minute mark, I find under-powered 'phones distort. They pretty much crackle. With an amp they tend to be okay.

I don't know if this is an accurate way of testing, but it's a kind of shortcut for me. I may be doing it wrong though. I'm hope to hear from some of you kind folks if I am
biggrin.gif

Jul 27, 2008 at 8:25 PM Post #5 of 11
Thank you for the replies! I guess they should sound alright because they are easy to drive phones, after all. I was hoping to avoid purchasing a separate amp as I am just a struggling Medical Technologist and am on a very limited budget. If things don't sound too well I guess I'll just have to DIY something, maybe a cmoy?

Jul 27, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #7 of 11
i was driving my 595's with an m-audio firewire box and there was more than enuf juice to run them...in fact, i can scarcely think of a time when i went past 75%...i'm not sure how comparable the m-audio is the emu but there you have it

Oct 18, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #10 of 11
It's true that they are easy to drive but they wont show their true quality until driven by a descent amp. You can always upgarde later, though.

Oct 18, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by hew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's true that they are easy to drive but they wont show their true quality until driven by a descent amp. You can always upgarde later, though.

i have found the emu 0202 better than cmoy amp, but then again cmoy isn't exactly high-end...I think it's not a bad solution in the interim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back