Can i plug a portable amp like the FiiO E5 into my xonar dx?
Jun 9, 2011 at 7:38 AM Post #3 of 8
There wouldn't be any point since the DX's amp is much better than the E5. You're basically double-amping. You could hook up a good amplifier to amplify the signal but the E5 will only degrade the quality. Try it though, maybe you'll like it anyway. :wink:

Jun 12, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #5 of 8
If the DX didn't have an amp you wouldn't hear anything when you plug in your speakers of headphone. The DX does have an amplifier. Every soundcard has an amplifier in it's circuit. Amping the DX's already amplified output with something like an E5 won't improve the sound. It might add some muddy bass though.

Jun 17, 2011 at 5:00 AM Post #7 of 8
You have already received an answer but you insist on asking the same question...

The Xonar DX has an amp and it's actually quite decent. One important thing you have left out of your question is what cans are you using? If they are high ohm headphones like the Sennheiser HD 600 (300Ohm), then you will need to buy an extra amp for them. In this case you would be best going for something better than the E5.

If you are using standard low/mid range cans like the Sennheiser HD 555, then you will not need another amp, the card will be enough.

Jun 17, 2011 at 5:38 AM Post #8 of 8
I want to know if it will decrease the sound quality, i need another amp because my xonar dx doesn't get loud enough in a certain game/some of my vinyl rips

and sometimes even 32ohm cans benefit from a headphone amp, but i'm using 100+ mostly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back