1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Can I make a Grado style headphone for less than $150?

1. Cruelhand Luke
    I bought some Grado SR60i off Amazon for the stellar price of $35....the catch was a wait time that was a few months. I figured it would be a cheap way to dip my toes into Grados.
    Then by coincidence I did some contract work for a guy that has an online high end audio shop. (Imagine my surprise walking through his garage, into the house and seeing out of the side of my eye 3 boxes of Hifiman HE 1000 V2.) He said he'd give me a great deal on anything I want. I said what about the RS2e he said $300.
    That got me really interested in Grados. So I did a ton of reading about: mods, comparisons of ALL the different models, SennGrados, Woodies etc.....
    I was somewhere around page 160 of the "SR60 -Mod" thread when I found out Amazon had canceled my order for the $35 SR60i and refunded my money.
    I'm stuck. I think Grados are the missing piece in my little modest headphone collection (I can finally sell off/give away some headphones and stop shopping for new ones and just listen to my music, imagine that!)
    So far I have gotten a Phillips Fidelio L2 and a Modhouse Argon for $100 each. If I spend $300 on some RS2e that just destroys my cheapskate budget to pieces.
    I already have some drivers that I think will work well (they are brand new out of a Superlux HD668B)
    For the headband, if the Sony MDR7506/v6 type headband is cheaper I would go with that. (I like that headband a lot actually.) I already have a bag of 3.5 mm jacks. I need: y cables, headband, cups and pads.
    So....can I build a Grado style can for $100 to $150 that will be on the same sq level as my other headphones?

2. ProtegeManiac Contributor
    If you already have the tools to fabricate the earcups and gimbals etc, maybe; but your driver sources are going to be limited to the Koss Porta Pro.