Can I improve my sound on my PC???
Feb 5, 2014 at 2:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

gary ocock

New Head-Fier
I've copied all my CD's to my computer. I've downloaded Foobar to listen to the CD's copied. I have a external DAC attached to my computer. The copied rate of the CD's is 44,100 Hz.  Is there some way I can improve the sound of the CD's using the DAC or the PC or both. I just purchased the Hifiman HE-400. All sounds great, just wondering if I can improve what I have???  If I need to learn what I have or improve what I have and there is a site/forum with the info please let me know.  Thanks

Gary

Feb 5, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #2 of 11
Anything wrong with the sound? 16/44.1 is 95% sufficient for most people. If you REALLY want better music, go download some from HDTracks or Linn.

Feb 5, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #4 of 11
  Anything wrong with the sound? 16/44.1 is 95% sufficient for most people. If you REALLY want better music, go download some from HDTracks or Linn.

Burn to lossless tracks, either apple's version or the window's version or to FLAC. Problem is that they take up a LOT of space. 320kbps mp3 is good enough for 95% of people as said before.

Feb 5, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #5 of 11
CD quality is plenty good, theoretically you won't gain anything with hi-res files. 320 kbit is also transparent to most people, especially with formats like ogg and aac.

There are different DSPs and the like that might be good to have though, but none that will boost sound quality (in theory).

Feb 5, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #6 of 11
Guys

Nothing wrong with what I'm listening too as it is. I just thought that now that I'm a Hi-Fidelity guy
happy_face1.gif
 , I want to listen to my music in the highest quality I can afford.  If there is a way to improve the music I burned to my computer I'd like to give it try; see if the results are worth the effort.

If the CD's that I burned were recorded (or produced) at 44.1, and I burned in WMA foremat, encoded in lossy at 44.1 how can I change to a higher fidelity?  What I'm asking; if My originals (CD's) aren't manufactured in the highest fidelity how can I improve them, should I just settle down and enjoy what I have?

Gary

Feb 5, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #7 of 11
You can't improve on the source media. All you can do is look for a higher quality source media. The production of all recordings is not equal. This has been true from the dawn of recorded audio. There are A LOT of things done to a song between the master track recorded by the artist and what gets put on the CD you buy.

HOWEVER - there are always *changes* that can be made (please notice that I did not say "improvements"). The HE-400 is only one of many excellent headphones that will all sound different. There are always other audio roads. IMHO, the guy that owns an LCD-3 doesn't buy an HD800 because he really thinks it will be "better" - he buys it because he thinks it might be "different". He thinks the same thing when he goes on to purchase a TH900 or an SR-009.

BTW, if any such guys are out there, I'm available for adoption... :p

Feb 5, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #8 of 11
yes...there is that cable from the computer to the dac....
wink_face.gif

Feb 6, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #9 of 11
You should re-rip your lossy files into a lossless format

Feb 6, 2014 at 7:26 AM Post #10 of 11
If you didn't rip to lossless (e.g. FLAC) then you should do that. Past that there's nothing you can do since it's digital.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back