Can I/How do I paint a Schiit Amp?
Jun 21, 2020 at 1:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

PrincessLeliana

500+ Head-Fier
So I came across this picture online:
f3heyotgdqgy.jpg

And thought, wow, that looks rad, I wanna do it.

I am in the process of getting a schiit Mjolnir and A modius, and would like to eventually undergo a similar project, and make them a delightfully horrible shade of pink.
Is it possible to go about this process safely? If so, how would I do it? What specific kinds of paint would I need to use? Etc.

Thanks in advance
Edit: Brainstormed a little (im bad at paint shutup) and was thinking something like this? I think it looks real good.

Amp paint.png

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #2 of 25
So I came across this picture online:
f3heyotgdqgy.jpg

And thought, wow, that looks rad, I wanna do it.

I am in the process of getting a schiit Mjolnir and A modius, and would like to eventually undergo a similar project, and make them a delightfully horrible shade of pink.
Is it possible to go about this process safely? If so, how would I do it? What specific kinds of paint would I need to use? Etc.

Thanks in advance
Edit: Brainstormed a little (im bad at paint shutup) and was thinking something like this? I think it looks real good.

Amp paint.png

Sure. Just disassemble your amp and dac so that you are working with just the aluminum shell. Scuff it up real well to get rid of the coating they put over the aluminum (if any).

Go watch a bunch of youtube videos on how to spray paint cars with rattle cans. It will show you the technique you need to use to get a nice finish.

The good news is that none of this is rocket science. It just takes a little know how.

Jun 21, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #3 of 25
Sure. Just disassemble your amp and dac so that you are working with just the aluminum shell. Scuff it up real well to get rid of the coating they put over the aluminum (if any).

Go watch a bunch of youtube videos on how to spray paint cars with rattle cans. It will show you the technique you need to use to get a nice finish.

The good news is that none of this is rocket science. It just takes a little know how.
Nice, its safe to do though right? Not really high risk of damaging? And automotive paint? Not like a stain or anything?

Jun 21, 2020 at 5:56 PM Post #4 of 25
Nice, its safe to do though right? Not really high risk of damaging? And automotive paint? Not like a stain or anything?

If you disassemble the amp and you are only working with JUST the metal, then there shouldn't be any harm to the amp or dac.

As far as I know, all of schiit's products are all fixed to a PCB and the housing is literally just a housing. So its not like you have to do any major surgery to separate out the amp from the shell.

And yes, I would go for automotive paint, or at least a paint that isn't cheap latex paint. I hate that crap.

Stain is for wood. Just like red wine would stain clothing, stain literally soaks in and "stains" wood. There is a process that is sort of similar to staining for metal called anodizing. But it's a very involved process. That being said, it looks like you live in England. So I am sure you can find a specialty metal finish place around you that can anodize for you.

What's cool about anodizing is that you still maintain the metal look. You just dye the metal pink. So its a shiny metallic pink vs a glossy pink. If you find the right shop, they should be able to do the stripes for you as well. But be warned, I would expect something like that to cost probably in the 200 USD range.

Jun 21, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #5 of 25
If you disassemble the amp and you are only working with JUST the metal, then there shouldn't be any harm to the amp or dac.

As far as I know, all of schiit's products are all fixed to a PCB and the housing is literally just a housing. So its not like you have to do any major surgery to separate out the amp from the shell.

And yes, I would go for automotive paint, or at least a paint that isn't cheap latex paint. I hate that crap.

Stain is for wood. Just like red wine would stain clothing, stain literally soaks in and "stains" wood. There is a process that is sort of similar to staining for metal called anodizing. But it's a very involved process. That being said, it looks like you live in England. So I am sure you can find a specialty metal finish place around you that can anodize for you.

What's cool about anodizing is that you still maintain the metal look. You just dye the metal pink. So its a shiny metallic pink vs a glossy pink. If you find the right shop, they should be able to do the stripes for you as well. But be warned, I would expect something like that to cost probably in the 200 USD range.
I was told by someone else that rustoleum is a good brand to use, would you share that sentiment? All their stuff says its good and works fine on metal and such. I'm not looking to spend 200 unfortunately, the amp has already cost me double the initial cost after shipping and voltage changes.

Jun 21, 2020 at 10:02 PM Post #6 of 25
I was told by someone else that rustoleum is a good brand to use, would you share that sentiment? All their stuff says its good and works fine on metal and such. I'm not looking to spend 200 unfortunately, the amp has already cost me double the initial cost after shipping and voltage changes.

Yep rustoleum is the goto. They offer a lot of different types and colors, anything that fits your needs they should have it

Jun 21, 2020 at 10:21 PM Post #7 of 25
Rustoleum is good. So is Krylon.

As you are working with a prepainted unit, you could scuff the surface with some 400 or 600 grit sandpaper for better adhesion.

You could also strip the original color paint but you would also want to use a primer before spraying to color.

If you want to get fancy, you can add a clear coat over the top. With or without 'flake' to give it more depth.

Jun 21, 2020 at 10:30 PM Post #8 of 25

Rustoleum should be fine. I just like automotive paints because the usually have better coverage and lie a little bit flatter on what ever you are painting.

Look up orange peel and how to videos on how to minimize or eliminate orange peel.

I would also go to your local hardware store or a metal recycling plant and get some sheet aluminum to practice on. A little bit of practice, prep, know how, and patience is the difference between an ok finish and a really good finish.

Jun 21, 2020 at 10:33 PM Post #9 of 25
I recommend using 400 grit sandpaper to sand the surface to remove the old paint, doing it by hand will take a long time. If you have access to an orbital sander, you can get the job done much quicker. If using a orbital sander, make sure to not apply too much pressure, otherwise you will overheat the metal and turn it dark. Just let the tool do the job. Wear a mask during this process so you don't inhale paint/metal dust.

When painting metals, I prefer to use a Krylon + Primer paint, as well as Krylon clearcoat for the finisher. This way all I have to do, is prep the metal surface, clean the surface afterwords, let dry, and then begin painting. Paint a light coat, don't try to go heavy at it in the first coat. Let it sit for at least 15-minutes after you got the first painting coverage done. Then come back, and paint the second coat. Wait another 15-minutes, and then come back and paint a 3rd coat. Now, after the 3rd coat is applied, wait 24-hours for the paint to cure. Then get yourself a can of Krylon clear coat paint. Using the same technique as before, paint at least 2-coats of clearcoat, then your done.

Also make sure to wear a mask whenever your painting, especially if your in a space with little ventillation.

Jun 21, 2020 at 11:16 PM Post #10 of 25
As you are working with a prepainted unit
The silver cases are anodized (not painted). Not sure about the black cases.
I am sure you can find a specialty metal finish place around you that can anodize for you.
Anodizing looks way better than paint. Google for anodizing services in your area. In my area, I see prices starting at $65.

Jun 22, 2020 at 7:24 AM Post #11 of 25
Yep rustoleum is the goto. They offer a lot of different types and colors, anything that fits your needs they should have it
Yeah ive already found all the colours I need from them, theres a beautiful metallic pink they have.
The silver cases are anodized (not painted). Not sure about the black cases.

Anodizing looks way better than paint. Google for anodizing services in your area. In my area, I see prices starting at $65.
Will do, just type "metal anodising" into google?

Edit: Looked into it, can't really find any that are for non business customers like me, only ones I did find were hours away and super expensive. I feel like painting is better as when I want to sell the thing I can just strip the paint off of it and have it be mostly normal looking

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #12 of 25
Yeah ive already found all the colours I need from them, theres a beautiful metallic pink they have.

Will do, just type "metal anodising" into google?

Edit: Looked into it, can't really find any that are for non business customers like me, only ones I did find were hours away and super expensive. I feel like painting is better as when I want to sell the thing I can just strip the paint off of it and have it be mostly normal looking

See if there's any place that does cerakaoting. Usually, it's done for guns, but is used all the time for different things and they love doing it for other things that aren't guns.

Otherwise, you just need to sand the surface and spray in light single-layer coats. Let dry > sand with a higher grit > spray again. Finish off with a topcoat.
The key is to do one single layer coats, avoid thick uneven coats. Take your time with it.

There are lots of youtube videos on how to spraypaint.

Jun 22, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #13 of 25
See if there's any place that does cerakaoting. Usually, it's done for guns, but is used all the time for different things and they love doing it for other things that aren't guns.

Otherwise, you just need to sand the surface and spray in light single-layer coats. Let dry > sand with a higher grit > spray again. Finish off with a topcoat.
The key is to do one single layer coats, avoid thick uneven coats. Take your time with it.

There are lots of youtube videos on how to spraypaint.
Yeah I think ill spray it, I looked up all these kinda things, theyre few and far between in the UK and they are not cheap, its like £30-40 for paints or £100-200 for anodising and such. I aint got that much money haha

Jun 22, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #14 of 25
You can use the exact same painting techniques that I told you with Rust-Oleum too, we've all given you great advice, so that you can achieve what your looking for. And I'd keep it pink, that way if you do sell it, it can be the pretty in pink custom addition, worth 20-dollars more then standard sold online hehe. :ksc75smile:

Jun 22, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #15 of 25
You can use the exact same painting techniques that I told you with Rust-Oleum too, we've all given you great advice, so that you can achieve what your looking for. And I'd keep it pink, that way if you do sell it, it can be the pretty in pink custom addition, worth 20-dollars more then standard sold online hehe. :ksc75smile:
Yup you've all done great :) I think I'll go with the rustoleum option, they sell this pink metallic paint which is the exact colour and finish I am looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back