Can I have my Sony SW radio repaired?
Mar 29, 2006 at 4:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

sclemmons

100+ Head-Fier
My sony IC- SW100S portable shortwave just broke its battery door. Not sure I want to replace it at the price. It is highly rated and I hope to have it repaired unless you have a better idea.

What other portable radio do you use? I want something small and portable with an alarm. Shortwave is optional to me. Between the Porsche design Grundig, the Eton, and the Sangean models, and even the Sony, do you have one you particularly like?

Better yet, can you hook me up for a repair at a decent price? In the world of radio repair, this is just a simple battery door after all. Please help if you have any ideas.

Mar 29, 2006 at 5:02 AM Post #2 of 5
Do you have an amateur radio store nearby? Most larger cities have them and most shops stock that radio, as well as others. Unlike most retail shops, ham store employees tend to be deeply knowledgeable about their gear. If they don't have a spare battery door on hand (you'd be surprised at what they have in the back) they'll know where to get you one or get it repaired.

If not, maybe poke around at HRO a little. You can find them here:

http://www.hamradio.com

They are reputable (I've done business with them) and will do what they can to help you out.

As for what I listen to on the go, I have an, well, almost 20 year old Sony AM/FM walkman I still like and an iPod that's a little newer.

If you ever want to listen to some shortwave, I'd recommend something more than a small portable. A desktop with a proper antenna will open the world to you. A good starting place is the Yaesu FRG7. Reasonable and you'll be surprised just how much is out there to listen to. If you like tubes, then an old National, Hallicrafters or Hammarlund is easily found and delicious to listen to. The difference between these radios and consumer stuff is the difference between the cans that come with a $19.99 CD player and the ones you just spent $300 on.

Oh, and good headphones make an *excellent* match with communications receivers.

Mar 29, 2006 at 5:55 AM Post #3 of 5
Uncle Erik gives good advice. If you just want a basic portable with SSB, the Sony ICFSW7600 is a decent model for the price ($170 or so).

I have dealt with AES Cleveland a few times (www.aesham.com) and they are friendly and helpful. They sell used, demos and parts so they should be able to take care of you one way or the other.

Mar 29, 2006 at 7:06 AM Post #4 of 5
I owned an ICF-SW7600G for quite awhile, and always liked it. Unfortunately, shortwave seems to have degenerated to the point where if you don't like religious stations you're not in for much in the way of interesting programming
frown.gif

Mar 29, 2006 at 12:17 PM Post #5 of 5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back