Can I get better SQ with a DAP?
Jan 12, 2019 at 10:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

talmadge

100+ Head-Fier
Currently I'm using an old iPhone 6 with a Fiio Q1 mkll streaming Tidal. Will I get better sound quality with something like a hiby R6 or comparable Fiio product? Using with campfire audio vegas and the 2.5 balanced output on the Q1mkll. I do have some flac files I could use with a DAP also.

Jan 12, 2019 at 11:05 PM Post #3 of 13
While it wont be a gigantic leap in SQ, youll be gaining the most in the convenience department.

You have to look at the output power levels and channel separation specs that match or exceed that of Q1 to not take a hit in SQ. There is a lot of great DAPs in all sizes and colors and music flavors these days. Also feature sets ( BT, streaming, touch interface, storage size ). If all you use is full size cans you will want something with more power. For CA Vega what you have is good enough, but more wont hurt.

Take a look at all the new offerings on the market : Fiio M6, Shanling M0, Hiby R3, Hiby R6 Pro, hidizs AP80, Shanling M5S.

See if you can play around with some players and decide. Sell the Q1, get a dap, use phone for phone things ( and maybe to stream music to your DAP ). Up to you to decide, but research first. Iphone > Q1 > 2.5 > Vega is a solid high quality setup as it is, just not the most convenient.

Feb 8, 2019 at 9:37 AM Post #5 of 13
I have an LG V30 phone, which is regarded as an 'audiophile-sounding' phone. It does sound quite good, and is more than good enough to enjoy my music driving appropriate iems or cans. I frequently press it into music-listening service, and always catch myslef thinking how good it sounds, and how far the sonics of phones have come. That said, if I make a quick but pretty closely volume-matched comparison to, e.g., my Sony 1Z, it becomes painfully obvious that the V30 is NOT in the same league. (Feel free to substitute a reference ot a Questyle, A&K, etc.. here).

Even feeding an external dac/amp combo, the better DAP makes for a better sounding transport. Phones are good, the best DAPs are clearly better - it always comes down to price, and alas, the best stuff is virtually always the most expensive. Sorry about your wallet

Feb 8, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #6 of 13
Thanks for all the replies. Looking hard at the HiBy R6. Also upgraded to CA Atlas

Feb 8, 2019 at 9:58 AM Post #7 of 13
I have an LG V30 phone, which is regarded as an 'audiophile-sounding' phone. It does sound quite good, and is more than good enough to enjoy my music driving appropriate iems or cans. I frequently press it into music-listening service, and always catch myslef thinking how good it sounds, and how far the sonics of phones have come. That said, if I make a quick but pretty closely volume-matched comparison to, e.g., my Sony 1Z, it becomes painfully obvious that the V30 is NOT in the same league. (Feel free to substitute a reference ot a Questyle, A&K, etc.. here).

Even feeding an external dac/amp combo, the better DAP makes for a better sounding transport. Phones are good, the best DAPs are clearly better - it always comes down to price, and alas, the best stuff is virtually always the most expensive. Sorry about your wallet

I’ve loved Apple Ipods and Apple phones for years, only concentrating on home rigs. But DAPs have come of age. It’s something that slowly becomes noticeable if you own one. To the point that if you start listening to anything other than a premium DAP it IS wildly obvious.

Sadly there are threads populated with the audio nihilists swearing that there is no better sound quality than an iPhone? That it’s somehow a style of distortion which is color creating specific euphoria? Whatever it is it’s entertaining. Lol

There are actually a few folks who really think that the iPhone is the pinnacle of audio resolution and quality. That all of us are possibly blinded by better output power. That really there is no possible way to get better sound quality than 16/44.1 from a phone or IPod Touch. That somehow it’s impossible to be improved upon. That the earth is flat and everyone with a DAP has waisted their money. Of course none of these folks believing this nonsense would EVER own a DAP. Lol

This is sad as it may actually influence people into not finding out how revolutionary and cool audiophile DAPs are in 2019.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #8 of 13
Whilst I am open minded about some DAP's possibly sounding superior to my iphone X, I am in no hurry to buy one. When I do however, the only one i'll buy will be either the Sony NW-A45 or the NWZX300S. I am really, really impressed by the sound quality of iphone X, it has a higher level of sound quality than some CD players i've owned including Marantz PM 5005 and Yamaha CD-S700. And that is without using an external DAC/AMP, just a basic USB to 3.5mm headphone input cable. Recommended.

Feb 8, 2019 at 10:44 AM Post #9 of 13
Whilst I am open minded about some DAP's possibly sounding superior to my iphone X, I am in no hurry to buy one. When I do however, the only one i'll buy will be either the Sony NW-A45 or the NWZX300S. I am really, really impressed by the sound quality of iphone X, it has a higher level of sound quality than some CD players i've owned including Marantz PM 5005 and Yamaha CD-S700. And that is without using an external DAC/AMP, just a basic USB to 3.5mm headphone input cable. Recommended.

If I could simplify the difference it would be soundstage, and the emotional triggers.........the musicality provided from a more holographic soundstage.

We all live in delusional worlds to a point. Most IEMs never get close to what a full-size headphone can do effortlessly. It’s because we are entertained by whatever detail and musical information we are provided. It’s the illusion everyone is into. It’s fine, as long as you know that there is maybe more with full-size headphones.

It was totally noticeable to me how much better late model IPhones were even in relation to the last IPod. Apple is improving sound quality, even with the dongle. And people should listen and own whatever makes them happy.

I’m sure there is a boatload of common sense that stipulates putting all your money into super nice IEMs as the transducer is what can be responsible for a good portion of the sound quality. In many ways having a $1000 or $800 IEM combined with an iPhone X........ is going to outperform a $500 DAP and $500 IEM. There could be some real concrete practicality to that logic; especially if it’s matching the desired sound signature.

But the issue is we have folks insisting that DAPs are meaningless. That a phone is all the sound quality which will ever be possible..........laughably ever......for the history of mankind. Lol.

It simply sends people in the wrong direction.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2019 at 10:49 AM Post #10 of 13
Phones are getting better-sounding, but cannot keep up with the sonic performance of the best DAPs-this is not a matter for debate. Whether it makes sense for any specific person to buy one or the other, or both is a totally different matter, and is subjective, and as such, not subject to debate, but for totally different reasons.

Most everything involves compromise, and weighing priorities and opportunity costs. I rely on ride-shares for my transportation, and my phone is what prevents me from being stranded.... having my music powered by a separate battery is pretty key. I'm also an audiophile, and both of my DAPs are blatantly better sounding than my phone (which itself sounds very good, and can also be OTG-ed into a DAC/amp). I am not an Apple i-device boy in any way, shape or form,

That all said, did you listen to the cd players thru their headphone outputs? Not sure what the comparison means, otherwise....

Feb 8, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #11 of 13
It is true that the differences between transducers (iems, e.g.) are vastly larger than those between electronic components. That said, the iem can only work with what it is being fed.A great iem being fed crap will sound like.... wait for it...... you guessed it ....... crap!

If I could simplify the difference it would be soundstage, and the emotional triggers.........the musicality provided from a more holographic soundstage.

I’m sure there is a boatload of common sense that stipulates putting all your money into super nice IEMs as the transducer is what can be responsible for a good portion of the sound quality. <.....> especially if it’s matching the desired sound signature.

But the issue is we have folks insisting that DAPs are meaningless. That a phone is all the sound quality which will ever be possible..........laughably ever......for the history of mankind. Lol.

It simply sends people in the wrong direction.

Feb 8, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #12 of 13
I have no experience with dedicated audiophile DAP's so to those who know of any particular DAP that does sound better, I might sound silly, so forgive me. I have plenty of experience with extremely detailed, linear, uncolored sounding expensive hifi equipment such as Cyrus CD6 and amp combo and also a Linn power amp, so i'm familiar with top sound quality. All I can say is that the iphone X, in my opinion, is one heck of a good sounding phone, which has audiophile grade sound, in my opinion. It is more than good enough for me and I recommend it to others. That's all.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2019 at 12:22 PM Post #13 of 13
Cool-makes perfect sense to me. No argument here.

I have no experience with dedicated audiophile DAP's so to those who know of any particular DAP that does sound better, I might sound silly, so forgive me. I have plenty of experience with extremely detailed, linear, uncolored sounding expensive hifi equipment such as Cyrus CD6 and amp combo and also a Linn power amp, so i'm familiar with top sound quality. All I can say is that the iphone X, in my opinion, is one heck of a good sounding phone, which has audiophile grade sound, in my opinion. It is more than good enough for me and I recommend it to others. That's all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back