Can I find any decent on-ear headphones under 100$?
Oct 30, 2018 at 6:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Sliwus

New Head-Fier
Hi,
I'm wondering if there are any decent on-ear headphones for less than 100 bucks.
Loking for new gear, cause my old JBLs (j55and if I'm not mistaken) have broken. You'd probably call those garbage and so do I, but buying them I didn't do much research and went for the brand/friend's recommendations. Now I do care more about the sound quality so I'm asking for help here, guys.

Digging through tons of forum threads and reviews gave me very inconsistent and unclear info on headphones in that range. As the differences between expensive headphones is from what I've understood a matter of taste, the sound quality of those in aforementioned price range is far more measurable.

Firstly I want to describe what I'm interested in and ask you if it's possible to satisfy these needs for less than 100 anyhow or it's just too little.
I'm listening to really diverse music. I used to focus on one type of music for a long time and then naturally change them over time. Quite some time ago however I started to appreciate good songs regardless of their genre. Now on my playlists you can find everything - heavy metal, EDM, folklore music, classical music, rap, ambient, you name it. With such diversity I guess I'm not really oriented on any specific frequency of sound. So the thing I need most is high fidelity, right? Not sure bout that term. Correct me if I'm wrong.
And here's my main question - is it possible to find headphones that would provide this or maybe flaws of lower-end gear will be exposed even more.
To clarify - I don't care about anything else. I handle the stuff very gently, so it doesn't have to be durable (the JBLs mentioned at the beginning were very fragile, were heavily used and remained intact a few years). Neither it has to be fashionable nor comfy (the JBLs were uncomfortable as hell and caused pain after some time).

To sum things up - I'm looking for a decent headphones for under 100$. I'm interested in sound quality only. Are these 2 sentences going together? Can I achieve any bearable quality for this price? These are my main questions.

As I've said before -I had been searching the internet for headphones for some time and picked a few of them. If they're not worth any attention just ignore this part.
AKG Y50 -very controversial from what I've understood. Looks to me like the hyped reviews might've been rigged.
Grado SR60e
Koss pro dj100
AKG K240 MKII
Beyerdynamic DT 240 Pro

Oct 30, 2018 at 7:02 PM Post #4 of 10
Thank you for replying.
I've seen these 2 before. I don't need much isolation but I'd appreciate if there was any :wink:
I was considering Koss Porta Pro but since I've got a bigger budget I thought I can afford something fancier.

Heh. Other folks will probably chime in with suggestions. I know the Takstar Pro 82 has a pretty substantial folllowing here, but I haven't heard it myself. But don't judge the Koss by their looks, and don't discount the KSC75 just because of their price.

Also, if you include IEMs in your search, budget options open up quite a bit.

Oct 30, 2018 at 7:30 PM Post #5 of 10
Heh. Other folks will probably chime in with suggestions. I know the Takstar Pro 82 has a pretty substantial folllowing here, but I haven't heard it myself. But don't judge the Koss by their looks, and don't discount the KSC75 just because of their price.

Also, if you include IEMs in your search, budget options open up quite a bit.
I'm not really into IEMs. I'm deterred by pretty much anything what goes into the ear.
The ones you posted on the other hand look very interesting. Except the fact that they're over-ear I like what I've read about them.
I didn't discount KSC. I thought these 2 (Porta Pro and KSC) are evenly good and took into account only Porta Pro, cause I like their build more. If U say KSC are worth checking out I will :)

Oct 30, 2018 at 8:06 PM Post #6 of 10
I've heard great things about the Philips Fidelio M1. They are the on-ear relative of the Fidelio L2, and X2. Seems like they can be had for less than $100

Oct 31, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #8 of 10
Thanks for posting.
They do look very tempting indeed. Do you know by any chance why their price dropped from 200$ to 50 though? That's a bit odd to me.
It's actually quite normal for headphones to drop in price like that. It doesn't mean the headphones are faulty, they have just been out for a while. The L2 was $300 when they came out, I picked up a set when they dropped down to around $100 and they have since climbed back up to around $180 and have stayed there ever since.

Oct 31, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #9 of 10
It's actually quite normal for headphones to drop in price like that. It doesn't mean the headphones are faulty, they have just been out for a while. The L2 was $300 when they came out, I picked up a set when they dropped down to around $100 and they have since climbed back up to around $180 and have stayed there ever since.
Oh sorry for a dumb question then.
I've been reading about them and I think it's the closest to what I'm looking for especially now when they're in the price range. Thanks for suggesting them!

Oct 31, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #10 of 10
Oh sorry for a dumb question then.
I've been reading about them and I think it's the closest to what I'm looking for especially now when they're in the price range. Thanks for suggesting them!
it wasn't a dumb question, you just didn't know. I hope you find headphones you like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back