can I do better than the SR-71?
Feb 25, 2006 at 11:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

omendelovitz

Member of the Trade: Purity Audio
I'm loving my hornet, but a wave of upgraditis has hit me again. I'm getting a pair of HD 650's soon and want an amp that makes them shine, but that would also do justice to my K701's and modded Grados (prestige). I know that there are many amps of the portable/battery powered genre, and I'm just wondering which one you would suggest as a substitute for the SR-71 and why. I'm considering the SR-71 strongly, but I want to make sure that I evaluate all the options thoroughly before I buy.

Thanks for your time!

P.S. - my source is noted in my sig, and my worst encoding level is lame alt standard.

Feb 26, 2006 at 12:17 AM Post #2 of 10
You already have an awesome portable amp in the Hornet. I wouldn't necessarily consider the SR-71 an upgrade. It's probably closer to a side-grade than an upgrade. They definitely color the sound differently but I'm not sure whether that's an upgrade in sound. More experienced Head-Fi'ers can offer a better opinion.

AE-1 is another portable amp considered to be in the same class as an SR-71, I believe. Larocco Pocket Reference II is a bit big but it may offer the upgrade you're looking for in a portable package.

But I just don't think other portable amps will offer a sound upgrade that you're looking for. Since you already have an excellent portable amp, why not consider a desktop amp like a Woo3 or GS Lite? I found my Woo3 to offer a more detailed lush sound than my SR-71.

Feb 26, 2006 at 12:21 AM Post #3 of 10
Since you love the Hornet sound get the SR-71 and don't look back.
biggrin.gif

Feb 26, 2006 at 12:40 AM Post #4 of 10
Thanks guys,

Socrates - unfortunately, I'm not sedentary enough to enjoy the benefits of a desktop amp, but thanks for the suggestion, soc.

MrArroyo, I know your views on the SR-71 vs. the hornet, but I have one question for you on that matter - would you suggest the SR-71 as a replacement for the hornet or a complementary amp for different types of music, etc.?

Can anyone with experience on the larocco and RSA comment on the sonic differences b/w those two types of amps?

Feb 26, 2006 at 3:19 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by omendelovitz
MrArroyo, I know your views on the SR-71 vs. the hornet, but I have one question for you on that matter - would you suggest the SR-71 as a replacement for the hornet or a complementary amp for different types of music, etc.?

I have both the Hornet and the Blackbird, and do prefer the SR-71 for classical and jazz, as it's soundstage seems more expansive. Can't beat the Hornet for rock.

Feb 26, 2006 at 3:23 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by raisin
I have both the Hornet and the Blackbird, and do prefer the SR-71 for classical and jazz, as it's soundstage seems more expansive. Can't beat the Hornet for rock.

yeah, it does seem as if the hornet was made for the Grado whereas the SR-71 was made for the Sennheiser... I continue to wonder what the LaRocco synergizes best with (was that proper english?
icon10.gif
)?

Feb 26, 2006 at 4:56 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

yeah, it does seem as if the hornet was made for the Grado whereas the SR-71 was made for the Sennheiser... I continue to wonder what the LaRocco synergizes best with (was that proper english?
icon10.gif
)?

AKG

k701

magic.

Feb 26, 2006 at 8:30 AM Post #9 of 10
What about the AE-1? Is that an upgrade? I like the fact that it has RCA inputs. That to me is a more solid and secure input connection than 1/8", albeit a little bulky.

Feb 26, 2006 at 12:38 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

icon10.gif
)?

The 650's sound great out of the Hornet and Grado's sound great out of the SR-71. I haven't heard the LaRocco so I can't comment. As mrarroyo says, SR-71 and don't look back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back