Can i buy just buy a hd 650 and schitt stack considering it endgame for forget about everyting else?
Nov 15, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #2 of 22
I suppose the only thing you will "miss" is the headache of choosing "that new superb dac/amp/hp". ) Otherwise its a great step to take.

Only thing that matters is Your pleasure from your music. ) Its easy to say, that HD650 with a stack will be able to deliver it.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #3 of 22
I suppose the only thing you will "miss" is the headache of choosing "that new superb dac/amp/hp". ) Otherwise its a great step to take.

Only thing that matters is Your pleasure from your music. ) Its easy to say, that HD650 with a stack will be able to deliver it.
Is magni +modi ok.or do i need to go for schitt dac amp combo like jotunheim

Nov 15, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #4 of 22
I can't speak to end game but as someone who recently upgraded from Modi 1 to Modi multibit, it was a fantastic upgrade for my HD600. For amp, lots of great feedback on the Jot for HD650 to be able to run balanced but also for Magni 3 if looking to keep cost down. If tubes, Vali 2 and Valhalla 2 are also great options.

Nov 15, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #5 of 22
What I like to tell my friends who ask me about these things has a two part answer.

1) The difference between having no gear and having some gear is one of, if not THE, largest gains you can make in this hobby just for the sake of moving from generic computer or smartphone audio to components that were at least built for audio. This applies even more so now that the new Magni 3 has gained some serious chops. It's like upgrading from a bicycle to a car, then future upgrades are like upgrading to a v6 car. Yes, the V6 is noticeably different, but not as much as that first huge change.

2) This is my personal opinion, but I feel like people who skip too many steps in the upgrade path won't fully appreciate the benefits of the upgrades as much. I've slowly been building an ever better system with the money I can manage, and I feel like I can appreciate each new level because I've experienced the ones below it. Even if you have the budget to go straight to the top end, you might miss out on knowing the incremental improvements that normally lead to that level.

So to answer your question, the schiit stack and HD650 is an excellent starting point where you can decide much later if you need to go higher at all. The jotunheim has benefits with balanced setup that are hard to find at that price, and I wouldn't suggest going any higher than that on your first setup just because you might find another company whose sound you like more once you refine your tastes.

PS Upgrading your headphones will matter the most once you have either jot or mag/mod, so even then you can hold on to your purchase for even longer in that case.

Nov 15, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #6 of 22
It depends on how serious you get in this hobby. I started at the HD598 and FiiO E10k, and ended up with the Jotunheim and balanced LCD2.

I would say the 650 + M&M stack could easily be endgame for a normal person, it's just very hard to resist the urge to upgrade once you hear a headphone like that.

I think I'm sticking with my Jot because it sounds great and has loads of power. If anything, I'd get more into home theater speakers before bothering to buy any new headphone gear.

It really comes down to personal preference, but i think that setup definitely has the potential to keep you satisfied indefinitely

Nov 15, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #8 of 22
who said forever. My thing is folks shuffling up, silly really. Knowing this reach for the stars piece by piece. Also know in 5 years there will be new. so careful who you snuggle up with.

Nov 15, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #9 of 22
I started with a pair of M50x, then got the AKG K7XX on Massdrop and a Vali 2. Sold the M50's and got a Modi Multibit, really enjoyed this combo. Then I picked up a pair of 650s used on eBay a while back. Most recently I attended the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest in Denver and listened to all of the Schiit products. I liked the Jotunheim so much with the 650s and K7's that I ordered it while I was down there. This is all over a nearly 2 year time period.

The Modi Multibit with Jotunheim and HD650 is an awesome combo! The Jot is a very versatile amp though and will probably handle almost any can I want in the future. I'm trying to find out what the Vali 2 does better, if anything, but it does have a more laid back sound signature. Vali 2 is a great amp for $150 and Magni 3 is probably the best $100 amp there is, but the Jot is a long term investment IMO along with the 650s.

Nov 15, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #10 of 22
I mean how much do i miss out.
I would try and talk you into getting the Darkvoice 336SE OTL tube headphone amplifier ($214-$250).
Then spend whatever is leftover in your budget for a DAC.

Not sure how hooked you are on the HD650, but I really like my Beyerdynamic T90.

Nov 15, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #11 of 22
You’ll be missing out a lot.

Here’s my recommendation to you in decreasing order:

(not heard all)

CTH
Ember II
Vali 2
Magni 3 (heard with 650, sucks)

Plus

Mimby
Modi 2 Uber
Modi 2

Nov 15, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #13 of 22
He probably didn't like the magni because it is solid state versus the CTH or Vali, which tend to have a warmer sound due to tube sound. It's the philosophy that you don't fight a dark can like HD650 with a bright amp, but instead improve its strengths by adding clarity or warmth through tube sound. I haven't heard any of the 4 amps he listed, but i know the philosophy in general. It's definitely true for my Lyr, which I enjoy with my HD650

Nov 15, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #14 of 22
He probably didn't like the magni because it is solid state versus the CTH or Vali, which tend to have a warmer sound due to tube sound. It's the philosophy that you don't fight a dark can like HD650 with a bright amp, but instead improve its strengths by adding clarity or warmth through tube sound. I haven't heard any of the 4 amps he listed, but i know the philosophy in general. It's definitely true for my Lyr, which I enjoy with my HD650
Thanks for clarifying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back