Can I access iTunes library from another Mac?
Sep 5, 2009 at 3:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Mediahound

Headphoneus Supremus
I have my iTunes library on my main computer (Mac Pro desktop). I have an Airport Extreme wireless network.

Can I access my iTunes library wirelessly on my Macbook (laptop)? I'd like to be able to play (stream) the songs on the laptop without having to copy the files to it.

If so, how would I do this?

Thanks for any info.

Sep 5, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #2 of 14
I think you should be able to do this. Set up Apple File Sharing on the Mac Pro, and then set the directory for iTunes on your Macbook to being the iTunes Library on your Mac Pro.

Sep 5, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #3 of 14
Have you tried this:
1. Connect you AirPort Express with your DAC via tos-link
2. Switch on "Look for remote speakers connected with AirTunes" in iTunes (pic 1)
3. Choose you AirPort Express using the button situated in the bottom right corner of the iTunes windows (pic 2).
4. Play you favorite music
k701smile.gif

Pic 1:
pic1.jpg

Pic 2:
pic2.jpg

Sep 5, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamWysokinski /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried this:
1. Connect you AirPort Express with your DAC via tos-link
2. Switch on "Look for remote speakers connected with AirTunes" in iTunes (pic 1)
3. Choose you AirPort Express using the button situated in the bottom right corner of the iTunes windows (pic 2).
4. Play you favorite music
k701smile.gif

Pic 1:
pic1.jpg

Pic 2:
pic2.jpg

OP has an Airport Extreme (not Express), which, to my knowledge, does not support Airtunes
wink.gif

Sep 5, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by pekingduck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OP has an Airport Extreme (not Express), which, to my knowledge, does not support Airtunes
wink.gif

Whoops, my mistake
redface.gif

Sep 5, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #6 of 14
I just activated sharing in iTunes and now my library shows up as a playist on the other computer in iTunes! I'm giddy it was that easy!

Sep 5, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by phototristan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just activated sharing in iTunes and now my library shows up as a playist on the other computer in iTunes! I'm giddy it was that easy!

If you like that, you'll really like this:

Simplify Media - Home

You can share music from anyone, anywhere...

It's a great app!

Sep 5, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #10 of 14
remedy, how does that work? Do you have to DL all your stuff onto their servers? I have tried something similar with LaLa but gave up because I have almost 2TB of music and it would have taken like a year to sync.

Please tell us more...

Sep 5, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
remedy, how does that work? Do you have to DL all your stuff onto their servers? I have tried something similar with LaLa but gave up because I have almost 2TB of music and it would have taken like a year to sync.

Please tell us more...

No, you don't have to move your music at all.

Download the application and install it. You can select what you want to share, 2TB is a bunch. :)

"Invite" whomever you want to share with.

Done.

I'm currently listening to a friends playlist. He's in Germany, I'm in the US.

Here are some FAQ's:

Simplify Media - FAQs

Enjoy!

Sep 6, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #13 of 14
What you can also do is in the menu bar:
Go to iTunes>Preferences...>Sharing
Click Share My Library on my local network
and that should do it!!
You may want to restart iTunes on each computer just in case.
That should about do it if both computers are on the same IP. This is how my brother and I share music. If you wanna also vice versa play anything from your macbook also click "Look for shared libraries". The macbook will need to have the identical settings I believe.
Cheers!
beerchug.gif

Sep 7, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #14 of 14
Share your iTunes library on the Mac Pro, and look for shared libraries on the MacBook.
Then browse and play music across the network using iTunes...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back