can headphones replace speakers?
Nov 20, 2008 at 1:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

raoke

New Head-Fier
Hi people. I'm looking at buying some speakers very soon but was told some headphones might do the trick as well.

I guess I have to describe what I like hearing to get some good recommendations? Well when I listen to electronic and rock music I like being able to hear the high notes, symbols, some bass, definitely the beat for trance/house music, but moreover I like it when my music sounds live.

For hip hop and others I like the highs as well, but mainly I like it when I can hear a nice deep beat with all the rattles and chimes in the background.

For games I really only play Day of Defeat seldom so I can dismiss any disadvantages in that area.

Lastly, you guys will probably need a budget to work with.
Well I can do anywhere from 200-400 so if you guys can provide a difference range of what is best that would be appreciated.

So far the only only one's I've looked into are the Senn hd555, hd595, audio technica a900/ad900, and akg k271.

I'm not sure what's the difference between open and closed but I wouldn't want too much pressure on my head and feeling like my grape is about to pop.

I'll be using this for computer use via a xfi xtrememusic and no amplifier.
Thank you for any helpful comments. I appreciate them all.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 20, 2008 at 2:08 AM Post #2 of 39
For many kinds of music, headphones can replace speakers, and are the superior choice. For the loudness and feel of hard rock, metal, or techno, speakers rule entirely. Not too many people have living arrangements or the equipment that permits really loud music, so headphones can be a hard, loud music solution as well.

Nov 20, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #3 of 39
Check out the JVC HA RX900 before you buy those you listed. there's several threads here dealing with this headphone and it's lil' bro, the RX700.

Nov 20, 2008 at 2:27 AM Post #4 of 39
I've heard about those but the reason why I am considering more expensive brands is because I'm not paying retail for them.

I'm probably going to be paying about 40%.

If I do go with some studio monitors I'll probably buy the 40$ rx700s to try out.

Nov 20, 2008 at 2:37 AM Post #5 of 39
For headphone, you should consider an amplifier to make them sing well.

If loudness is an issue for you(trouble your neighbor), then headphone is a good choice
if not, then speaker will be better because you won't need to buy an amplifier for it(studio monitor. They sound amazing at high volume)

Nov 20, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #6 of 39
HD555 has a great soundstage..give it a try..u ll love it..and then 1 year later u can upgrade to HD600..which sounds as natural as a speaker in a room

Nov 20, 2008 at 4:37 AM Post #7 of 39
for some people, yes. for other people, no. and some people change their minds.

Nov 20, 2008 at 4:51 AM Post #8 of 39
I'd have a hard time choosing one over the other. I like headphones but after a few hours I get tired, both of listening in the more concentrated way that headphones permit, and just of having something on or in my ears. I never get tired of speakers. So during the day I like using speakers, at night headphones. Maybe if I only ever listened for an hour at a time headphones would do.

Nov 20, 2008 at 5:03 AM Post #9 of 39
Headphones will not be able to achieve true bass rumble from a subwoofer, or will it have instrument placement (due to distance from ear to the driver) of speakers.

However, speakers aren't portable (for most people) and headphones generally have better timbre seperation.

so my answer is no - headphones can't replace speakers. But speakers can't replace headphones either.
wink.gif

Nov 20, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #10 of 39
They sure can!
My speakers have not been hooked up the last 4 months or so. I only use headphones. So for me headphones certainly can replace speakers.

Nov 20, 2008 at 9:33 PM Post #11 of 39
For the same price, yes. Say you are paying £200 to buy a headphone and spend £200 to buy a set of speakers, the headphone would provide a better sounding over the speaker IMO. Yet thou, I pay around £60 for my Goldring DR150 (new) and £50 for my AE Aego M speakers (second hand), both are mid-fi stuff and both sound good! At this stage, headphones need a better amp. over speakers...but the hi-end stuff, it all about ££££..

Headphones and speakers are 2 separate enjoyment, they cannot replace each other IMO.

Nov 20, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #12 of 39
I switched from speakers to headphones since I don’t want to disturb others while I am listening to the music. I lost speakers’ realistic sound stage, better bass, in return, I got better quality sound, more details from headphones. Plus I can have more time enjoy the music with headphones.

Nov 20, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #13 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for some people, yes. for other people, no. and some people change their minds.

Yep I for example prefer speakers. I am saving up to get better speakers for my stereo first, then, less important imo, a better [home] amplifier for my headphones. It's just that speakers systems are so much more money..

Nov 20, 2008 at 10:34 PM Post #14 of 39
My current living situation has dictated my losing the speaker rig that I had for many years, and go with a smaller, headphone-based system.

I don't feel that I'm losing anything in my listening pleasure...
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back