Can Glass be broken by Sound ?
Nov 19, 2008 at 5:13 PM Post #16 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by yukihiro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if mythbusters says it can happen, then it can happen
wink.gif

Yupp!

Nov 21, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #17 of 33
This thread brought back memories of the old Memorex commercial. I couldn't find the original though - only this one.

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Nov 21, 2008 at 8:47 PM Post #19 of 33
You can break or damage practically anything if you can get it to resonate enough. All you need is the frequency that the glass or whatever object resonates at and send that exact frequency back at it. If you get it to resonate enough to a breaking point the structure fails. So yes sound can break glass if the frequency is right on.

Anyways thats what I learned in G.11 Physics, so don't take my word for it.

Nov 21, 2008 at 11:16 PM Post #20 of 33
Well, the jury is out on that. If you can drive something delicate at resonance, you can break it, most likely.

Easiest way to break a glass window, though, I suspect, would be to get a huge subwoofer, and drive it in feedback from accilerometer in the middle of the window.
smily_headphones1.gif

That 21" woofer from B&C ought to suffice, if you have a 220 circuit to power the amplifier for it
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
This is kinda not in the headphone range, though.

Nov 21, 2008 at 11:36 PM Post #21 of 33
If the resonance can be maintained and is of sufficient amplitude then there is a probability of a material shaking itself apart. If however the Jewlers glass counter consisted of layers of laminated glass, then resonance may not be easy to achieve. Each glass sheet could be damped by its contact with the resin/plastic plastic layer beside it and you'd really need the whole window resonating to succeed.

p.s. Mythbusters rocks
smily_headphones1.gif

I really liked the attempt to demolish a bridge using resonance alone.
icon10.gif

Nov 22, 2008 at 3:53 AM Post #23 of 33
you can shatter virtually anything solid with sound except for a few very elastic materials. im sure the government has already created a wepon that can shatter bone. every material has a natural frequency, if a sound of this frequency is played with a large enough amplitude in the presance of the given object the material will resonate with the sound. the material will begin to expand and contract at a rapid pace untill the structure reaches its elastic bounds and can no longer withstand the resonance, at which point it shatters. This is elementary physics.... you guys are all audiophiles i thought you would know more about sound science >.<

edit: it seems i was not the first one to post this =( i shouldve read the whole thread first sorry

Dec 2, 2008 at 5:01 AM Post #26 of 33
ah, i saw that episode for CSI, i love CSI, great show. they prolly used an mp3 file to break all the glass in the store in the show so they can break all the glass at the same time in the store, which is much faster, if ur a thief or a robber, than the take a hammer and hitting everything.

Dec 11, 2008 at 1:29 AM Post #27 of 33
Three words on resonance: Tacoma Narrows Bridge.

Dec 11, 2008 at 3:17 PM Post #28 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Three words on resonance: Tacoma Narrows Bridge.

Yeah, but at least the constructers learned a lesson..
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back