Can Glass be broken by Sound ?
Nov 18, 2008 at 2:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Nocturnal310

Headphoneus Supremus
Was seeing CSI New York Season 3 episode 2.

in which they show the robbers use an mp3 file on iPod connected to stereo speakers via idock and break the glass counters holding the jewelerry.

later the CSI guy explains the robbers used some sine waves of ultra high frequency for that.

Is it really possible? or just a creation of Hollywood?

Nov 18, 2008 at 3:11 PM Post #3 of 33
Glass sure can be broken by sound.
smile.gif

Even the human voice can do it. 556Hz @ 105DB...

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Nov 18, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #4 of 33
Mythbusters did a segment on this as well. As noted above, it's possible, but requires figuring out the right frequency and generating some pretty high levels of output. I haven't seen the episode, but I expect any faults lie in the output level and required equipment to achieve it. There are probably better ways of committing a crime than hauling a concert stack to the scene.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 18, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #5 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by BradJudy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mythbusters did a segment on this as well.

Did you even click the YouTube movie I embedded?
wink.gif

Nov 18, 2008 at 7:20 PM Post #8 of 33
Note that it's not glass, it's crystal...it's much more sensitive to resonant frequencies.

Nov 18, 2008 at 9:20 PM Post #10 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you even click the YouTube movie I embedded?
wink.gif

Actually, no. I have flashblock installed and despite clicking to start the video it didn't work so I didn't know what you linked to.

Nov 19, 2008 at 6:17 AM Post #11 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by wuwhere /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would think that jewelry glass counters are much stronger than ordinary wine goblets.

and can u believe it was an mp3 file..

and the speakers were those cheesy ipod dock based speakers...something like those Bose ones but louder

Nov 19, 2008 at 9:53 AM Post #12 of 33
if mythbusters says it can happen, then it can happen
wink.gif

Nov 19, 2008 at 3:44 PM Post #14 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sceptre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It can be done but so what?

A brick or sledgehammer is so much more effective at breaking glass.

Sceptre

LOL!
Quite true. Now making a mental note (no pun intended) to remember this next time I need to knock over a jewelry store.

BTW, as far as CSI goes......... Miami is REALLY starting to get on my nerves. I wish the writers for that one would go back on strike so they can find some new ones. sheesh!

Nov 19, 2008 at 3:57 PM Post #15 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Note that it's not glass, it's crystal...it's much more sensitive to resonant frequencies.

Just run your finger round the rim to ascertain the frequency needed then use a tone generator and a lot of wattage
biggrin.gif

Alternatively, throw an ipod at a window, that'd be music breaking glass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back