Can ears atrophy?
Feb 14, 2004 at 6:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Bob Ebophalus

100+ Head-Fier
Hypothetical situation:

If I wore some earplugs that blocked out 100% of the noise all day long for a couple of weeks, would I be able to hear better or not as good?

Feb 14, 2004 at 7:10 PM Post #3 of 16
your ears will be fine but you will alienate everyone you know
wink.gif

Feb 14, 2004 at 8:03 PM Post #4 of 16
I'd think the opposite would happen, and you ears would become more sensitve in an attempt to be able to understand people with the earplugs in. Remember, earplugs aren't blocking out 110+ db's of sound...

Feb 14, 2004 at 8:47 PM Post #5 of 16
I would go with Ebonyks on this, I think your ears would become more sensitive to try and get sounds back to a normal level.

Feb 14, 2004 at 11:36 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by gpalmer
I would go with Ebonyks on this, I think your ears would become more sensitive to try and get sounds back to a normal level.

I agree with the above. Definitely.

Just last weekend, I made a 4 1/2 journey from Hull to London on train and wore ETYs all the way. When I reached London, I disembarked from the train and not knowing my way around the place I removed the ETYs so I had my wits about me and the moment I did so the noise level was astounding. It was as if somebody had started a up road drill alongside me. After a few minutes the noise level subsided but in reality my ears just equalised it to something reasonable.

Feb 14, 2004 at 11:40 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by Ebonyks
I'd think the opposite would happen, and you ears would become more sensitve in an attempt to be able to understand people with the earplugs in. Remember, earplugs aren't blocking out 110+ db's of sound...

That would be a little too ambitious. Most earplug boxes indicate their dB rating, the amount by which they reduce the perceived noise levels, and it's usually between 25 and 32dB.

Feb 15, 2004 at 12:00 AM Post #8 of 16
I doubt your ears will get more sensitive. Your brain more likely will become more sensitive.

Feb 15, 2004 at 12:01 AM Post #9 of 16
I think the poster was asking under hypothetical terms as to whether hearing would potetially become better or worse.

Feb 15, 2004 at 12:01 AM Post #10 of 16
rsaavedr, that's exactly what i was saying. The fact that earplugs aren't perfect in that lots of sound will still get through

Feb 16, 2004 at 2:17 PM Post #11 of 16
Nope we're still in hypothetical land. Earplugs block out 100% of the noise and I can't hear a thing. I was thinking that they would get more sensitivesince that's waht happens on the bus ride home, but I wanted other's opinions on the subject.

Feb 16, 2004 at 2:59 PM Post #12 of 16
They probably would become more sensitive in hypothetical land if the earplugs block all noise. But the sensitivity would probably decrease slowly. I think it's comparable to other senses, what we're most familiar with is the feeling of being in the dark then yanked into the light. Your eyes hurt, then adjust. While I don't think hearing is so dramatic, I believe it's a similar effect.

Feb 16, 2004 at 5:06 PM Post #13 of 16
What is your logo, oddball. Is that the symbol you get when an iPod dies. Don't show it to me man!

Feb 16, 2004 at 5:16 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by Ebonyks
rsaavedr, that's exactly what i was saying. The fact that earplugs aren't perfect in that lots of sound will still get through

Yes actually I was only making your point stronger, about the fact that earplugs don't block 110db's (which would be too ambitious) by indicating the usual amount of dB's most earplugs can block.

Feb 16, 2004 at 7:35 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by chadbang
What is your logo, oddball. Is that the symbol you get when an iPod dies. Don't show it to me man!

Yup. It's what happens when your hard drive fails. After the hard drive fails, connect it to a computer, then wait for a while. A folder icon will appear, then eventually this sucker will pop up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back