Can Con 5 impressions/review.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 28, 2015 at 9:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

pkwak

500+ Head-Fier
I would like to once again thank everyone for attending Can Con 5. I really enjoyed catching up with everyone and had a fantastic time.
I would like to thank Wing of Minidisc for once again for joining us and engage with us.
And a special thank you to Nori for bringing once again your headphone tree without the tree.
And it was great to catch up with familiar as well as new faces in the meet.

My impression with very limited as I have spent most of my time at the Can Con listening to Sennheiser HD700 which I loved.
I do agree it was very unique/unlike anything I have heard before but I have decided that it was to my liking. 

Jun 28, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #3 of 37
On the other side i briefly listened to the he560s with my soloist amp and irdac and wasn't too impressed with that 3 way combo. The v200 and sabre dac are a great pairing.

I'm thinking/learnt:
the he560s with the soloist work better with the sabre Dac than my irdac (burr brown);
The v200 and the sabre dac were great (more appealing than what I expected) - for my ears good meat and level of warmth and I don't usually go that way;
The soloist needs a little warmth/grunt that the irdac provides as opposed to the leaner/transparent/brighter sabre dac. I can't ever see myself separating those two. They are a 2 in 1 unit;
How crucial it is in matching dacs with amps and HPs.

And sorry Nori but the dt880s are a great HPs for us older folk. Still living in the past I guess.

Thanks for organising the meet. And the pizza and lamingtons. And for all that attended and brought their gear.

Yeah, I just particularly liked the 560 with the rather neutral/bright Sabre/Soloist pairing i guess.  I don't think it benefitted from any added warmth in the chain, it just felt bloated on the V200.

Jun 28, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #4 of 37
I don't think I got to listen to a lot of gear at the meet to be honest, a few DAP's from Wing's table.  Out of those I really liked the ZX2 - I found it very resolving, neutral and dynamic.

Jun 29, 2015 at 2:54 AM Post #5 of 37
Some photos for you guys. I didn't take too many and I didn't get a clear shot of the Blue Hawaii :frowning2:

My freshly set up table, it's looking quite bare compared to...

@sandalaudio's...

Not so fresh looking now.

Glamour shot

DAP/DAC off

Dita Audio

This HE560 is in much better condition than mine

Matching outfit

endless amount of headphones

"Almost" Beyer A1 vs A2

Jun 29, 2015 at 3:34 AM Post #6 of 37
  Some photos for you guys. I didn't take too many and I didn't get a clear shot of the Blue Hawaii :frowning2:

Thanks for the great photos. It's great that you brought a lot of demo units for us to try out.
I'm sure many of us will return to your shop for further listening.

I tried to avoid listening to the expensive Stax for too long, so that it doesn't make me want to buy it. But they did sound amazing...

Jun 29, 2015 at 5:09 AM Post #7 of 37

Matching outfit

Make no mistake: the q701s were a very popular item at the Kazakhstan headfi meet last year year. Here is the guy that organised that meet.

Jun 29, 2015 at 8:25 AM Post #8 of 37
Hi, thank you to Paul and Hiep for organizing the event. It was really great to meet some new fanatics in person :)

I am, in fact, trying to put together an article about the event. If you should have something you'd like to have included, please do send me a note by PM.

Jun 30, 2015 at 3:38 AM Post #9 of 37
Thanks for organizing! The meet was great, I only wish I had arrived early to get to know everyone and the gear better. I really enjoyed trying out different amplifiers, it never ceases to impress me how much they change sound of the cans! My AKGs sounded amazing on the Burson and violectric V200, hmmm which one to get...
The stax were unbelievable, like @sandalaudio says, better not listen to them too much or we will end up buying it haha

Here some random pictures I took  https://flic.kr/s/aHskbAi9BZ

Jun 30, 2015 at 3:45 AM Post #11 of 37
haha for under $300 and coupled with a good amplifier they are impressive to my ears! : D
Absolutely. That whole range of solid midfi choices:
He400i
Hd600
Akg701
Dt880

Jun 30, 2015 at 3:52 AM Post #12 of 37
A bit late here, but thanks to everyone who attended.  It was a great meet to catch up with some of the old faces and greet the new.  

I thought the balanced HE-560s sounded very well balanced with not a hint of harshness.

The starter Stax setup, the srs 2170, sounded excellent for the asking price.

JH Laylas were the best iem i've ever listened to, but due to the size it would most definitely fall out of my ears if I tried to move my head.

Overall a very nice meet, and looking forward to the next one.

Jun 30, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #13 of 37

JH Laylas were the best iem i've ever listened to, but due to the size it would most definitely fall out of my ears if I tried to move my head.

I thought that I couldn't get the best sound out of the JH Layla because of the poor fit on my ears. I know it has a lot of potential but it was too hit and miss depending on the positioning.
This is leading me into customs, so I should stop thinking about it...

Jun 30, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #14 of 37
Yeah, I just particularly liked the 560 with the rather neutral/bright Sabre/Soloist pairing i guess.  I don't think it benefitted from any added warmth in the chain, it just felt bloated on the V200.
Sabre/soloist pairing = Burson conductor Virtuoso (sabre dac) = $1700 with bonus second (Warmer) dac board option thrown in

Jul 1, 2015 at 12:34 AM Post #15 of 37
Sabre/soloist pairing = Burson conductor Virtuoso (sabre dac) = $1700 with bonus second (Warmer) dac board option thrown in

Everyone trying to get me to spend money!!  I was sorely tempted by a HE560 on stereonet for $750 the day after the meet, but it sold before I really thought about it too much :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back