Can Con 4.5 - Western Sydney mini-meet - impressions!
Jul 27, 2014 at 9:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

intlsubband

500+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

We had a nice mini-meet at Parramatta Library yesterday. We had 7 head-fiers (if I remember correctly). It was my first time attending (and organising) a head-fi meet so it was a real pleasure. I got to listen to lots of headphones I never listened to before, and meet some very nice people!

Some impressions:

Q701 - I was looking forward to this one. I never actually listened to any of the AKG's before. Based on what I've read about this headphone, I was expecting a nice clean sound, but without much substance in the low end. But as soon as I plugged it into my amp, I was immediately surprised by the excellent bass! I then learned that @eimis modified these to increase bass response. Whatever he did, he did it very well! very good first impression.

There was another interesting AKG I tried, a small, very old on-ears brought by @Xtralglactic (I can't remember the model number). It did not look promising or impressive at all - but that all changed once I put these on. Wow! excellent dynamics in these little things. @Xtralglactic modified them, but I can't remember how.

Fidelito X1 - another headphone I was looking forward to hearing. It sounded nice and clean, pretty similar to the Q701, but overall inferior to the modded Q701. I did love the design and build quality of these however.

ATH-M50X - I was looking forward to listening to these, I've heard all about these but never listened to any M50 before yesterday. Plugging them to my portable player (DX90), the dynamics immediately made me smile. These look like a great pair of on-the-go headphones, very fun sounding, even if the mids are not as lush as other headphones. But those dynamics are probably the best you can get anywhere near the price range. The pair I tried had velour pads.

Perhaps the biggest surprise for me at the meet was @DJScope's Takstar Pro 80. First of all the build quality was beautiful, seems indestructible, and very comfy with the HM5 pads. And the case it comes with is fantastic. And the sound was very good - very clean, good details, and scales well - first I listened with the DX90, but out of my main gear it was clearly a step up in terms of dynamics and presentation.

I also had a chance to AB my (older) HD650 and a newer HD650 with the silver-coloured driver. I've been reading quite a bit on the forums about supposed differences between the sound of the old and new HD650. Well, thankfully for my wallet, I couldn't tell a difference when plugged into my main gear... 
atsmile.gif

I tried lots of other headphones, but these are the ones that really stuck in my mind. Hopefully some others will post some thoughts and impressions.

Jul 27, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #2 of 29
Hey. OP's HE-500 probably impressed me the most. I have that feeling that those might be my next purchase...

Biggest disappointment was mad dog T50RP. A bit better than my modded T50RP but still... Expectations were high.

Jul 27, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #3 of 29
I enjoyed the pretty impressive line-up of cans that was at the event. It was very unfortunate that the time we had was so short so my auditioning was limited to only about 3-4 mins per can. The cans that stood out the most to me were the Mr. Speakers Mad Dog 3.2, and the Hifiman HE-500. I also really enjoyed the proclaimed bass cannons, the Phillips SHL3300 JVC HA-SZ2000. The Mad Dogs being the exact signature I look for in a pair of headphone, with great staging, being closed, and built like a tank. 

Like wise I enjoyed trying out the IEMs that were (I think) the most expensive units to try. 

Unfortunately I cannot really describe any of the reasons why I like or dislike any of the cans at the event because of the short time we had. It was all first impressions. I usually would sit down with a pad and pen and write down my thoughts, not this time. But it's for the better in my opinion as I will be looking forward to going to more meets in the future to revisit some of the great headphones out there.

PS. I was very impressed with @eimis's DIY O2 amp, really great job. Unfortunately I didn't really get a chance to use it. 

Oh, AND! A special mention to the FiiO E12. It surpassed my expectations enormously and was able to drive every can I tried on it. Definitely will be looking into get one for my next upgrade.

Jul 27, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #5 of 29
  yea, another hour or two would have been great!

Even an extra 10 mins per can isn't really enough, LOL. To truly analyse the sound of cans you need time for your ears to adjust to it's sound. That's why first impressions do count, but they aren't really the selling point in the end, for me at least. Sound is that subjective that you can like something for a short time before it starts to annoy you. 

Just my 2 cents xD

Jul 27, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #6 of 29

Even an extra 10 mins per can isn't really enough, LOL. To truly analyse the sound of cans you need time for your ears to adjust to it's sound. That's why first impressions do count, but they aren't really the selling point in the end, for me at least. Sound is that subjective that you can like something for a short time before it starts to annoy you. 

Just my 2 cents xD

Yea, I agree! we really needed some more time for proper impressions - mine were just the immediate thoughts upon first impressions with these phones. I probably didn't even get around to half of them!

Maybe we can do a home mini-mini-meet for the Granville-Merrylands area sometime soon...

Jul 28, 2014 at 12:45 AM Post #7 of 29
Those were AKG K26P intlsubband! Yes they surprise many people. They are so unassuming. I've just put the sennheisser PX200 ear pads in place of the original . I've ordered new pads too. I really liked the mad dogs 3.2.. They may be my next purchase. The NAD Visio I thought I'd like but they somehow sound too diffuse...geeez my tax return money is in danger! Well it seems to be always in danger as my penchant for visiting JB Hifi stores :p

Jul 28, 2014 at 3:18 AM Post #8 of 29

Users who are viewing this thread

Back