Can-con 2 (Sydney 2012) Meet Impressions
Aug 22, 2012 at 4:20 AM Post #77 of 89
Quote:
The favourable side for my wallet is that comparing the T70 and T1 on the A1 clone seemed like the T70 is really good for the money.  Not as far off the T1 as you'd think for under half the price.  My Little dot 1+ is beautiful for the grado's but doesn't drive the T70 like the A1 does though. 

I also felt that the T70 was very good and surprisingly comparable to the T1 in character. I would've thought Beyer would make it deliberately sound different. (e.g. DT770 vs. 880) but I was wrong. The T1 still had a bit of advantage on soundstage presentation and depth but I though T70 had 90% of what was so good about the T1.

The T70 I tried at the event had a weird gel pad instead of the original velour pad, so that might have made some difference. Is it a popular mod for the Beyers?

Aug 22, 2012 at 6:46 AM Post #80 of 89
Are there a black version?

I swear it was mentioned that it adds more bass

Aug 22, 2012 at 7:17 AM Post #82 of 89
but half a year does sound good!

Aug 22, 2012 at 8:12 AM Post #83 of 89
No, I was thinking still make it yearly but this time we will have it in January because of the availability of venue.

aah read the first post on the page. sorry.

> swear it was mentioned that it adds more bass

gel pads sealed better on tp1 (not t1, modded t50rp), vs velour Beyer pads so yes. I dunno if I got weird bass reflection resonance problems with tp1+gel vs velour or imagined them tho. (guess it also depends what's in the cups )

> the DX1000 on the other hand I have listened to at length when I was sent some to repair and recable. I found them to be the best bass monster sealed can i've ever heard and though the bass is positively massive and lushous, there is still a good amount of detail and a pretty decent soundstage for a sealed can, even for a woody, I guess thats down to the humungous cups.

I hated them before (winks pair). it's expensive, out of production, the plastic finish flakes off and the arc build is flimsy. they also had a weird mids quality to them (either perceivably recessed or distorted). seal wise they're great because of size and tight fit tho. (overall i wouldn't touch them with a 10 ft pole)

Not a big fan of old production d5000 or 7000 either. (or markl modded pairs). Not sure what they did to new batches, as according to Tyll/innerfidelity they were retuned. (and hopefully fixed pivot bolts snapping, when people don't listen and handle them by the cups. instruction manual should say 'will snap bolt' not 'do not handle by the cups')

Aug 22, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #85 of 89
Set a date for next can-con and ill be there
beyersmile.png

Aug 22, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #86 of 89
Quote:
aah read the first post on the page. sorry.
> swear it was mentioned that it adds more bass
gel pads sealed better on tp1 (not t1, modded t50rp), vs velour Beyer pads so yes. I dunno if I got weird bass reflection resonance problems with tp1+gel vs velour or imagined them tho. (guess it also depends what's in the cups )
> the DX1000 on the other hand I have listened to at length when I was sent some to repair and recable. I found them to be the best bass monster sealed can i've ever heard and though the bass is positively massive and lushous, there is still a good amount of detail and a pretty decent soundstage for a sealed can, even for a woody, I guess thats down to the humungous cups.
I hated them before (winks pair). it's expensive, out of production, the plastic finish flakes off and the arc build is flimsy. they also had a weird mids quality to them (either perceivably recessed or distorted). seal wise they're great because of size and tight fit tho. (overall i wouldn't touch them with a 10 ft pole)
Not a big fan of old production d5000 or 7000 either. (or markl modded pairs). Not sure what they did to new batches, as according to Tyll/innerfidelity they were retuned. (and hopefully fixed pivot bolts snapping, when people don't listen and handle them by the cups. instruction manual should say 'will snap bolt' not 'do not handle by the cups')

I wouldnt buy any of them except maybe cd3000 and hp2 which are fun, but not as massive in the bass, just saying I prefer them for that type of can, really didnt like the th900. As I was saying to Nattonrice, i've kinda moved on from bass heavy cans, I need the extension as a lot of my music has a lot of bass content (Massive attack, Tricky, New Order, Orbital, Underworld, Daft Punk, Groove Armada, NIN, Trentmoller, Tool, Ben Harper, various Jazz and Classical etc), but other than the small amount of bass bump in jh13, or hd600 I cant have too much or it dominates and/or clips. 

I'm not sure expensive, flimsy or out of production counts as a comment on sound, which is all I was commenting on.... I had to fix the frame and hinge assembly at the same time as recabling, so indeed not reassuringly solid. I added some damping mods also.

I'm not sure what people are doing to bust the denons, I had 2 pairs for years that endured many mods and worked with many others, never busted any or saw any busted pairs. yes it feels vulnerable, but it just needs common sense, the d7000 fixed it to some degree

Aug 26, 2012 at 3:33 AM Post #88 of 89
sweeet
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back