Can anyone reproduce this note cleanly?
Aug 27, 2019 at 8:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

AutumnCrown

100+ Head-Fier
Hindemith Organ Sonatas telarc 417-159-2 - Peter Hurford. Sonata #1. The last few seconds always clips for me. I am pretty sure it is a problem with tidal's file, but I thought I would check if anyone is able to reproduce this cleanly. This is of particular interest to me because according to a study by Fielder and Benjamin (1988) "The last several seconds of this sonata contain a very powerful, sustained 19.375-Hz note. It was noted that the third harmonic of this note slowly varied, sometimes dropping to -40 dB."

They used this track to test the audibility of third harmonic distortion with a Stax. They found: "They varied the level of the third harmonic distortion. The threshold was found to be about 2-3% of additional third harmonic distortion, and the subjective effect was that the swelling sound of the organ was changed and became more stationary as additional distortion was added."

I have headphones here with distortion under 1% at 100 dB, so I am pretty sure I'm not hearing mechanical clipping, but there is some unpleasant noise with that note no matter what headphone I use, though it sounds somewhat different. Can anyone reproduce this note cleanly?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back