Can anyone recommend some nearfield/pc speakers?
Sep 13, 2008 at 8:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

The-One

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys:

I'm looking for some good quality speakers used from 3-5ft away at about 4-5ft apart while at computer. I've heard the term nearfield come up but I have no experience of those.

Can anyone suggest some nearfield monitors or home stereo/av speakers that would be suitable for closer listening position? Also would I be right in assuming that the smaller the speaker cabinet size, generally the more suitable it is?

A bit more specifically, looking for high quality speakers with rich fluid mids and airy smooth. Low bass extension is not as important as long as I use a subwoofer. Also looking for an immersive sound field, not small and tinny.

For that sort of requirements I would assume I need an amplifier to power them as well?

Thanks

Sep 15, 2008 at 5:53 AM Post #2 of 19
You just want PC speakers. Sounds like a nice 2.1 setup is in order. Klipsch Pro-media is a good choice, or something like the Swan M10's if you're more interested in music than game/home-theater... although, I had trouble finding a set of M10's on the net, just now. Hmm...

Sep 15, 2008 at 3:06 PM Post #3 of 19
Realistic Minimus 7s.

Great detail, spectacular imaging, amazing Fostex driver in a cast aluminum housing. Constantly available on Fleabay for under $40. Just add a small desktop amp and away you go. Just be sure to buy the ones made in Japan and not the ones made anywhere else.
It's the Japanese made version that has the Fostex driver.

These little things can rock surprisingly hard too.

Sep 15, 2008 at 4:05 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by The-One /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys:

I'm looking for some good quality speakers used from 3-5ft away at about 4-5ft apart while at computer. I've heard the term nearfield come up but I have no experience of those.

Can anyone suggest some nearfield monitors or home stereo/av speakers that would be suitable for closer listening position? Also would I be right in assuming that the smaller the speaker cabinet size, generally the more suitable it is?

A bit more specifically, looking for high quality speakers with rich fluid mids and airy smooth. Low bass extension is not as important as long as I use a subwoofer. Also looking for an immersive sound field, not small and tinny.

For that sort of requirements I would assume I need an amplifier to power them as well?

Thanks

I am using the adam a7 that sound very good and are amped, so you dont need an amp to power them. They have a big woofer and have good bass. Newer and smaller are the adam a5. If you want cheaper and good sound, the m-audio av40, bx5 and bx8 are said also to be good.

Sep 15, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #5 of 19
Ive had M-audio Bx5a for about 2 months now...very good pair of speakers...my headphone rig has taken a back seat due to these. I think their strongest point is the accurate imaging followed by a fairly neutral sound sig (they are monitors after all).

Sep 15, 2008 at 8:51 PM Post #6 of 19
post-30418-1146585810.jpg

Nuff said.

Sep 15, 2008 at 9:17 PM Post #7 of 19
quad are boring speakers in my opinion. I recommend the PMC DB1i , a much more enjoyable speaker

Sep 15, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am using the adam a7 that sound very good and are amped, so you dont need an amp to power them. They have a big woofer and have good bass. Newer and smaller are the adam a5. If you want cheaper and good sound, the m-audio av40, bx5 and bx8 are said also to be good.

Hey all, thanks for replies.

I've been searching around and I'm looking at things like Audioengine A5, Adam A5/7, Mackie HR624mkii/MR5/8, Genelec 8020/8030A, Dynaduio MC15/BM5A etc and all similar styled products.

One trend I have been noticing is that a manufacture will release 2 or 3 monitors, the difference being the cabinet size and, smaller " woofer and less W rating. As freq response goes, the smaller sibling has less bass extension.

Since I already have a subwoofer , bass from the monitors will not be needed, I will simply set a crossover.

However, I wonder if the smaller siblings would have a different sound, or is the only difference bass extension that I would never need. I'm looking for excellent mids and treble, so would say the Adam A5, compared with A7 perform just as well high up the freq? Though to be honest, in the end it depends how much I want to blow on this, £200 for the Audioengine A5 to £650 for the Mackie HR624mkii.

Also I'm not too sure betwee some of the products, such as the difference between the Mackie HR series or the MR, both seem to boast similar freqs and construction.

At this stage my mind isn't made up at all and there's quite a bit of choice. So more suggestions are welcome!

Sep 15, 2008 at 10:57 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nuff said.

You mean to say you listen to those Quads from 3-5 feet away?

Sep 16, 2008 at 2:42 PM Post #10 of 19
I had your problem a year ago, when I had to purchase blindly because there is no place around here to demo them. All I can tell you is that the adam a7 is a very nice monitor. The ribbon tweeter gives amazingly clear high-mids and the big woofer delivers surprisingly good bass without the sub. Since you already have a sub, a smaller unit such as the adam a5 (which I haven't heard) should be enough.

A7.jpg

Quote:

Hey all, thanks for replies.

I've been searching around and I'm looking at things like Audioengine A5, Adam A5/7, Mackie HR624mkii/MR5/8, Genelec 8020/8030A, Dynaduio MC15/BM5A etc and all similar styled products.

One trend I have been noticing is that a manufacture will release 2 or 3 monitors, the difference being the cabinet size and, smaller " woofer and less W rating. As freq response goes, the smaller sibling has less bass extension.

Since I already have a subwoofer , bass from the monitors will not be needed, I will simply set a crossover.

However, I wonder if the smaller siblings would have a different sound, or is the only difference bass extension that I would never need. I'm looking for excellent mids and treble, so would say the Adam A5, compared with A7 perform just as well high up the freq? Though to be honest, in the end it depends how much I want to blow on this, £200 for the Audioengine A5 to £650 for the Mackie HR624mkii.

Also I'm not too sure betwee some of the products, such as the difference between the Mackie HR series or the MR, both seem to boast similar freqs and construction.

At this stage my mind isn't made up at all and there's quite a bit of choice. So more suggestions are welcome!

Sep 16, 2008 at 10:36 PM Post #11 of 19
I own and enjoy the AudioEngine a2s as my computer speakers. They are smaller and cheaper than the a5s, but sound great to my ears. I was suspicious of powered speakers before I got the a2s, but have no complaints.

Sep 17, 2008 at 1:29 AM Post #12 of 19
I went to a music/audio shop today to demo 4 monitors. Adam A5/A7, Mackie MR5 & KRK RP5.

I haven't done the fairest test today for my needs because the monitors were playing full freq while I would only use it with a 80/100hz cross over. Hence I plan to go bk again next week with digitally altered audio tracks with no freq below 80hz. Also next time I will have my ACS T2 customs with me so I can A/B using T2 as reference sound, afterall it's supposed to be pro audio too. I also need to position speakers about 4ft apart instead of the 6 today.

Here is some of my quick impression today (guess now I'm giving thoughts, even though I haven't made up mine yet as which to buy yet)

1st of all, they all sounded good in their own ways, I guess from £250+ it becomes more personal preference. I also dont' think I've ever positioned speakers correctly before, so hearing a properly setup set is kinda like wow, so this is what stereo should sounds like. The speakers are mostly bi-amped and XLR too so all high quality.

Adam A7: It's very open, very transparent and the sound is big. The imaging and depth is just like wow. Even without a subwoofer the lows are surprising pleasant. It's lean clear and sounds like it can reach deeper than it can. The voices hang in the air and occupies space. I wouldnt' call the sound warm, indeed on first listen I thought it was too "cold". However on 2nd listen my opinion of them went up a lot. It resolves the music "effortlessly" it seems. Because the sound is so different, I wonder if pairing it with a subwoofer other than the Adam Sub 8 would spoil a seamless sound already with its own character.

Adam A5: With a smaller cabinet size and woofer, the lows were practically none existent. However instantly I thought the mids were actually "warmer" and has slightly more solidity than A7. Treble was similar, it gave a sparkling but focused treble. The biggest difference between A5/A7 is the soundstage/imaging. The A5 just sounds smaller, which may not matter if I sit close to it (i'll have to see nxt time). with no sub, the bass is def not it's forte. If A7 was "effortlessness" across the freq, A5 is "sweet" in the mids and treble. A5 also seems from memory to be closes to my T2s in the mid and treble though I'm relying on memory as my customs have been lying around broken for a while.

Mackie MR5: Roughly same cabinet and woofer size like the A5 but with a much different sound. It was quite forward and aggressive, the bass is pretty loud and clear without a sub though doesn't sound as deep as A7. The mids are even warmer than A5, treble performance was fine thought not as good as Adams. The sound is a bit like a solid wall with strong bass and mids, a wall in a nice way. It sounds "rich/lush with very fun bass but loses some detail and imaging with Adams. I only had time to listen to this once.

KRK (ROKIT) RP5: Again similar 5" woofer and cabinet size but again a different sound signature. The soundstage/imagining seems to be rather limited. Voices seems to emanate from a small point straight ahead and instruments clearly from the sides. The sound was well controlled and had detail, but ultimately unexciting to listen to. The RP5 reminds of Shure E4cs when I had them. Everything was there, but the presentation was not exciting. I also only listened to this once.

Next week when I go back I'll obvious listen to these again but I'll prob ask to demo some others to see since there's just monitors lying around the place. The Mackie MR8, HR624 mkii, KRK's higher end VTX series etc though i prob wont consider buying it. MR8 likely to be too big in size, with HR624 and KRK too expensive around at £650. My budget is supposed to be £400, though Adam A7 are £525 which I would consider stretching to max. The salesperson was also a big fan of Adam speakers, he has a pair of Adam P22A without sub at home, the next series up at around £1350. He says its down the special tweeters in Adams that give it' the sound sig.

Sadly Dynaudio/Bluesky/Genelec isn't stocked there so I'll have to find somewhere else. Also the Audioengines A5 at £200 really do deserve to be heard too. Demoing speakers is actually kinda fun, I brought my own USB with mp3s and FLACs and just stood there listening to tunes that I like.

Sep 17, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Adam A7: It's very open, very transparent and the sound is big. The imaging and depth is just like wow. Even without a subwoofer the lows are surprising pleasant. It's lean clear and sounds like it can reach deeper than it can. The voices hang in the air and occupies space. I wouldnt' call the sound warm, indeed on first listen I thought it was too "cold". However on 2nd listen my opinion of them went up a lot. It resolves the music "effortlessly" it seems. Because the sound is so different, I wonder if pairing it with a subwoofer other than the Adam Sub 8 would spoil a seamless sound already with its own character.

I agree completely. Sometimes when I listen to vocals the voices just seem to appear in front of me. If I am distracted it can be scary because it is so real.

Sep 18, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #14 of 19
I personally use a pair of Mackie HR824's and would highly recommend a pair but seeing your budget is on the low end, then consider the Adam A7 or the M-Audio BX8a's.

Sep 18, 2008 at 12:38 AM Post #15 of 19
My Z-2300 is acting weird, so I'm waiting for Klipsch to update their promodia 2.1s. If not, I'll make my own 2.1 set up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back