can anyone recommend me a neutral, isolating on ear?
Dec 29, 2012 at 12:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Tom22

Headphoneus Supremus

i'm just using these headphones on my mac and iphone no amp.

i'm looking for a pair of headphones that has a neutral sound signature, easily powered through my iphone. 

what comes to mind is the philips citiscape, and the vmoda m 80s, does anyone have an other suggestions?

if it helps i'm using it for commuting on the bus and train so thats the kind of isolation i need.

edit- i like a warm neutral sound if that make sense 

but the priority to me is 

1)isolation and under $150 2) sound, and comfort 

Jan 2, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:
I'd also suggest the Sennheiser Momentum's for your usage ...especially with no amp and on the plus side it has iPhone controls / microphone built into the cord. Sound is great also and they look great.

sweet that sounds great! how did you find the isolation on them? i'm trying to find on ears that isolate, not a big fan of in ears.

Jan 3, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #5 of 15
For on-ear headphone that fit your needs that I would recommend is the UE4000 but that's one of the three on-ear headphone I tried before. Not much experience with on-ear.

For over-ear headphone with neutral sound, +1 for Sennheiser Momentum. Warm sound signature overall. If you have bigger than average ear, you might find it uncomfortable.

Also, if you like something look fancy with great sound, the Sony MDR-1R are too a good choice. Flat sound overall. Generally speaking, I would take MDR-1R for less bass & better control. Better instrument separation too.

As for isolation, I find all the above are pretty good. :)

Jan 3, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:
For on-ear headphone that fit your needs that I would recommend is the UE4000 but that's one of the three on-ear headphone I tried before. Not much experience with on-ear.
For over-ear headphone with neutral sound, +1 for Sennheiser Momentum. Warm sound signature overall. If you have bigger than average ear, you might find it uncomfortable.
Also, if you like something look fancy with great sound, the Sony MDR-1R are too a good choice. Flat sound overall. Generally speaking, I would take MDR-1R for less bass & better control. Better instrument separation too.
As for isolation, I find all the above are pretty good.
smily_headphones1.gif

thanks i'm trying to stay under the $150 mark, so the ue4000 sounds like a good choice! I'm trying to stick with on ears to avoid the bulky over ears! i usually have them around my neck when i'm not listening

Jan 3, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #7 of 15
thanks i'm trying to stay under the $150 mark, so the ue4000 sounds like a good choice! I'm trying to stick with on ears to avoid the bulky over ears! i usually have them around my neck when i'm not listening

Do you get to audition headphones at your place? I find HD439 lightweight. :)

Jan 3, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #9 of 15
Quotedf

i'm just using these headphones on my mac and iphone no amp.

i'm looking for a pair of headphones that has a neutral sound signature, easily powered through my iphone. 

what comes to mind is the philips citiscape, and the vmoda m 80s, does anyone have an other suggestions?

if it helps i'm using it for commuting on the bus and train so thats the kind of isolation i need.

I haven't heard any truly neutral on-ear headphones, so I'm not going to make any strong recommendations (I've been trying to find some though :p).  I don't want to leave you without any information though.  The V-Moda M80, although a great on-ear, is not neutral.  Rather it is warm.  The Philips Downtown that has been recommended is close to it, but falls short for me as well (from memory).  The majority of the CitiScape series have been said to color sound as well.  That's really all I can help you with though, sorry :frowning2:

Jan 4, 2013 at 2:21 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

I haven't heard any truly neutral on-ear headphones, so I'm not going to make any strong recommendations (I've been trying to find some though :p).  I don't want to leave you without any information though.  The V-Moda M80, although a great on-ear, is not neutral.  Rather it is warm.  The Philips Downtown that has been recommended is close to it, but falls short for me as well (from memory).  The majority of the CitiScape series have been said to color sound as well.  That's really all I can help you with though, sorry :frowning2:

thank you! i guess i should change my thread, i like a warm sound. i only have experience with the noontec zoros and the monoprice 8323s so nothing above 150 price tag.

i'm wondering if the m-80 would be a step up from them, their build quality is superb i've read from threads, but i was wondering the isolation on them for commuting purposes. ( i've read there are vents on the side of the shields) to me vents= more room for ambient noise to seep into the headphones.

trying not to turn them up keeping them under 85 dB (want to keep my hearing) 

Jan 4, 2013 at 2:23 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:
Do you get to audition headphones at your place? I find HD439 lightweight.
smily_headphones1.gif

not exactly, only basically bestbuy and futureshop 

and most of those on display are like beats and monster, and couple of bose, and skullycandy. mostly popular consumer cans

heard good things on the new monster lineup but their $300 price tag scares me!

Jan 4, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:
thank you! i guess i should change my thread, i like a warm sound. i only have experience with the noontec zoros and the monoprice 8323s so nothing above 150 price tag.

i'm wondering if the m-80 would be a step up from them, their build quality is superb i've read from threads, but i was wondering the isolation on them for commuting purposes. ( i've read there are vents on the side of the shields) to me vents= more room for ambient noise to seep into the headphones.

trying not to turn them up keeping them under 85 dB (want to keep my hearing) 

Unfortunately I haven't heard the Noontec or Monoprice headphones, so I won't be of much comment :frowning2:  All I can say is that the M80 are warm, so should fit your preference.  Isolation with most on-ears is fairly poor, for what they are though, the M80 do an average (maybe slightly above average) job at isolation.  Over ears do a little better.  However, if you want true isolation, IEMs will be the only direction to go.  They tend to best the active noise canceling headphones as well.  

Also, kudos to you for keeping at a reasonable, and safe listening level.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back