Can anyone provide me with a list of websites that ship to Canada with no customs/brokerage fees because of import?
Nov 19, 2008 at 5:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ShootingStars

100+ Head-Fier
Paying customs/brokerage costs too much when you buy online.
frown.gif

Sites that sell headphones I mean.

Nov 20, 2008 at 12:42 AM Post #2 of 8
Oh, you mean smugglers?

Nov 20, 2008 at 12:59 AM Post #3 of 8
Just buy in Canada then.

FWIW, I almost never have to pay taxes of any description on used equipment imported from abroad.

Nov 20, 2008 at 1:11 AM Post #4 of 8
I live in Europe but I think it depends on the transporter.
When someone sends me something using UPS It seems that I have to pay the taxe all the time.
But I have yet to get something taxed when the item is sent using USPS.

Nov 20, 2008 at 1:12 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShootingStars /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Paying customs/brokerage costs too much when you buy online.
frown.gif

Sites that sell headphones I mean.

Just try and get them to ship them via USPS vice the other companies (UPS, FedEx etc.). USPS just passes it over to Canada Post and then you are responsible for duties, which usually equate to what you would pay in taxes anyways. Unless the product is covered under NAFTA and may be exempt from duty. UPS Standard to Canada is awful for hidden brokerage fees and I refuse to order anything that will be shipped via that method as I have been burned repeatedly.

Hope this helps. Cheers.

Nov 20, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #6 of 8
You have to Taxes regardless of Courier, you usually get killed by Brokerage fees by UPS which can cost more than the phones themselves. So usually I ask for the item to be shipped by USPS. There is no legit way of avoiding these taxes. Obviously you can undervalue the item and mark it as a gift as such. But if you get caught, you will get "Blacklisted" which really means any future purchases will result in Customs checking your packages more often.

Nov 20, 2008 at 9:21 PM Post #8 of 8
So you want the company to under-value the item for you to save import taxes. And hence run a risk of their business. Bad!
Ok if they do it on their own. But asking or even demanding them to do so it not the way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back