Can anyone point me towards a good DAP for under $250?
Nov 25, 2012 at 11:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

chuckle490

100+ Head-Fier
I need at least 30 GBs of memory. What player will give me the best SQ? I've been looking at the iPod classic 7th gen, but I've heard some people say it lacks good SQ, is that true? I'm willing to go a little higher on my budget if needed. Thank you!

Nov 26, 2012 at 5:12 AM Post #2 of 12
I've been looking at the iPod classic 7th gen, but I've heard some people say it lacks good SQ, is that true?

No, the iPod Classic is a very good player. Its only downside is its (IIRC) 5 ohm output impedance, which could be a problem with very low impedance IEMs with impedance peaks at certain frequencies. It's not a problem with most headphones.

There's also the Sansa Clip+ which measures just as well as the iPod, but has a near perfect 1 ohm output impedance. You could get a 32 GB microsdhc card for it, or a 64 GB microsdxc card formatted as FAT32. The Clip+ has less output power than the iPod though (it doesn't get as loud) and its battery life is half of the iPod's (15 vs. 30+ hours).

You can install Rockbox on both players.

Nov 26, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #3 of 12
The Sony Z series, F series walkmen, HM-601, Samsung Galaxy player 4.2 are great buy because they sound great out of HP jack and improve further with AMPs help.

Nov 26, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #5 of 12
I have both classic (6th gen) & ipod touch. (4th gen)

If you want strict music+sd (standard definition) video listening/watching - go for Classic

If you want music+games+apps - go for ipod touch

Nov 26, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:
I have both classic (6th gen) & ipod touch. (4th gen)

If you want strict music+sd (standard definition) video listening/watching - go for Classic

If you want music+games+apps - go for ipod touch

Video watching on the Classic? Really? 

Nov 26, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #8 of 12
Rock box is a free software that installs a new program & UI for using with ipod classics and other media players. It is nothing like iTunes and from what I've gathered, it allows you to drag & drop files & play it flawlessly with custom skins, equalizations etc.

Remember it's mostly for ipod upto generation 5. Although there is way of getting around it with the newer generation classics.

Nov 26, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:
Standard Definition (not High Definition) versions play on ipod classic 6G-7G

I realize that they will play, but the screen is really too small for video use.

Dec 8, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:
 HM-601, 

AS far as sound goes, the Hm601 is magical with a very warm NOS DAC TDA1543, it is musically fantastic! Sounds woderfully real. Ofc detail wise it's a 7/10, but it has that wonderful warm tube-ish sound and really magical mids!

I love it, and the SD card slot, makes expandable storage pretty easy imo. I got a 32gb Kingston Class 4 in there that's works just fine! The only issue is the Hifiman does not work with Apple...
[which just makes me love it all the more <3] 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back