Can anyone identify this bug?
Apr 2, 2013 at 12:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

arnesto

500+ Head-Fier

This bug was in my bedroom and when I turned on the lights, it moved really fast.

I was able to put it in a jar and I am wondering if I should let it go or flush it down the toilet.

Apr 2, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #3 of 19
This is probably a type of house centipede, scutigera coleoptrata I think. They are not dangerous for humans and actually helpful because they kill other insects. You can find more about it here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scutigera_coleoptrata

Apr 2, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #4 of 19
Cool, you guys know bugs.

I decided to show mercy and let it go outside.

Apr 2, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #6 of 19
I wanted to make sure it wasn't going to lay 1000 eggs and be dangerous to me.
Once I was able to find out it was harmless.

The decision was easy

Apr 2, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #8 of 19
I had those things at my last house. Late at night they used to run directly at me while I was siting on the floor on line. I hated it. Lol

Apr 2, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #9 of 19
Yep, house centipedes. They are gross and can get pretty big but eat spiders and other pests. Ortho Home Defense Max twice a year outside along the perimeter of the house generally keeps them away.

Apr 2, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #11 of 19
Apr 3, 2013 at 5:03 AM Post #15 of 19
This type of centipede doesn't bite, as far as I know. There are however other kinds of centipedes (not house centipedes like this one) that bite, which can hurt a lot.

Quotes from wikipedia:

Some species of centipede can be hazardous to humans because of their bite. Although a bite to an adult human is usually very painful and may cause severe swelling, chills, fever, and weakness, it is unlikely to be fatal. Bites can be dangerous to small children and those with allergies to bee stings. The bite of larger centipedes can induce anaphylactic shock in such people. Smaller centipedes usually do not puncture human skin.

The history of a centipede bite is fairly straightforward; the victim typically sees and identifies the characteristic centipede before, or soon after being bitten.
Symptoms which are most likely to develop include:

1. severe pain, which is usually in proportion to the size of the centipede
  2. swelling and redness
  3. swollen, painful lymph nodes in the regions of the bitten limb
  4. headache
  5. palpitations or a racing pulse
  6. nausea and vomiting
  7. anxiety
  8. local itching and burning sensations

The wound left by the bite may be accompanied by swelling, redness, and small puncture wounds which may form a circular pattern. This wound may be susceptible to local ulcerations and necrosis.

biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back