can anyone help identify my cables?
Sep 8, 2002 at 3:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

taipeileviathan

100+ Head-Fier
okay, so while i was back in taipei for summer vacation, i went to a hi-fi exhibit and picked up a set of stax 2020's. to sweeten the deal, the ppl there threw in a set of IC's that looked pretty cool but that i'd never heard of. i hooked em up, and sure enuff, the setup sounded phenomenal. however, yesterday just outta curiousity, i took my cables out and listened to my stax setup with the IC's that came outta the box for a quick comparison. i nearly threw the damn earspeakers out my window. i had no idea that my cables made such a big difference, and since they do, i had no idea that they were that good (and that the ppl who sold me my rig were that generous). so, can anyone help me identify these lifelines (heh, sorry bout the pun, but i'd die without them
rolleyes.gif
)? i don't have a digital camera, will try to get access to one in the next few days to put a picture of these cables online, but here's a brief description:

they're acrotec IC's with a diameter of roughly 5 mm. the color of the sheath is light blue, and they're made of rubber. the two sets of connectors are entirely separate cables, and each is about a meter long. the connectors are gold (plated?). the connector itself is kinda in two parts... there's the normal rca thingie, but it's surrounded by a separate cylinder also gold (plated?) that slides over the connected jack/connector and keeps the connection firm. okay, i don't know if any of that made sense... i'll try to get a picture up asap. but till then... anybody have a clue?
confused.gif
i certainly don't...

btw, if u can give me a rough monetary estimate for how much u think these may be worth, i'd greatly appreciate that too...
biggrin.gif

Sep 8, 2002 at 3:43 AM Post #2 of 20
Quote:

the connector itself is kinda in two parts... there's the normal rca thingie, but it's surrounded by a separate cylinder also gold (plated?) that slides over the connected jack/connector and keeps the connection firm.

A BNC connector? Like the connector on the left in this pic? .

Sep 10, 2002 at 1:45 AM Post #6 of 20
hmm... seems like none of my friends have a readily available webcam or camera for me to use. so i ordered one from newegg.com (i need one anyway)... once it gets here i'll put a pic up...

thanks for the attention guys!
biggrin.gif

Sep 18, 2002 at 4:24 AM Post #7 of 20
okay, so the digicam i ordered online has finally come. btw, www.pricewatch.com is a GREAT site for finding cheap computer components, from keyboards to processors to digicams... anyway, here're the pics! identify if u can, or if u can't, just put this expression on ur face so at least i know i'm not alone...
confused.gif

Sep 18, 2002 at 4:31 AM Post #8 of 20
hmm... i forgot about image sourcing...

here's the old pic, but in better quality, as well as a close-up.

edit: hmm... i can't seem to get the pictures to come out... but anyway, if u wanna see them, click here

edit: hehe, thanks kr, well, now i know why the pics won't come out. anyway, click on link!
biggrin.gif

Sep 18, 2002 at 5:54 AM Post #11 of 20
holy cow! you had to go to a russian website to find this info? thanks a ton KR! u're the man...
biggrin.gif

well, surfing blindly thru the website where ur image was sourced from, i managed to find a page with the full line of IC's, and the cheapest 1m cable they had was selling for 120 euro! man... i really lucked out with my purchase, huh?
cool.gif
well i guess i'm gonna have to learn s'more russian (my current russian is limited to vi kracivaya devuschka) to find out the exact model number/MSRP of my cables, huh?
rolleyes.gif

Sep 18, 2002 at 7:50 PM Post #12 of 20
I looked through the "Home Theater and Stereo" section of that site and from there into the Acrotec Cable part and didn't see your specific cable. They only had connectorless wire, RCA, and balanced versions, though. No RCA-mini like you have.

Your cable doesn't have an alpha-numeric designation on it anywhere? That seems to be how Acrotec names its cables.

kerelybonto

Sep 18, 2002 at 8:20 PM Post #13 of 20
excellent idea, kerelybonto... can't believe i didn't think of that before... heh...

okay, the cables say on them "crystal link IC-100", with the crystal link thing drawn as a funky logo, so i'm guessing that that was a proprietary technology of some sort. fyi, i also called a us distributor of accrotec stuff (axiss distribution), and the lady i spoke to had no idea what they are... so... i guess i'm outta luck?
frown.gif

thanks for the help tho everyone!
biggrin.gif

Sep 18, 2002 at 10:39 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by taipeileviathan
my current russian is limited to vi kracivaya devuschka

Or the less formal "tee kracivaya devuschka". Depends on your relationship with her. If it's formal, use yours, if it's informal, use mine.

You also need to know "gdye uborne?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back