can anyone hear the difference between a cd transport and old dvd player (coax)?
May 31, 2021 at 3:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

magicalmouse

500+ Head-Fier
I wonder if anyone has done (blind?) listening tests to see if there was a hearable difference between an old dvd player (mine is a 25 year old panasonic) and a new cd transport e.g. cambridge cxc etc. when listening through coax to a dac

Just for reference i have an arcam irdac2/x-cans v3 modified/hd650/meze 99 (silver cable)/oppo pm3/quad 77/ spendor sp2/2

May 31, 2021 at 7:36 PM Post #2 of 7
I wonder if anyone has done (blind?) listening tests to see if there was a hearable difference between an old dvd player (mine is a 25 year old panasonic) and a new cd transport e.g. cambridge cxc etc. when listening through coax to a dac

Just for reference i have an arcam irdac2/x-cans v3 modified/hd650/meze 99 (silver cable)/oppo pm3/quad 77/ spendor sp2/2
That's an interesting question, one I've pondered myself.

Taking the onboard DAC out of the equation, ("listening through coax to a dac"), does the transport make a difference?

I still have my 20 year old AMC Cd8b (via my own design coax cable), along with 2 ASUS CD recorders feeding my Schiit Bifrost 2 DAC.

I've recently been comparing versions of albums, literally thousands of CD's. Streaming vs CD vs CD to Flac digital (ripped).

I've satisfied myself that the greatest differance in an album is the original mastering.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2021 at 3:04 AM Post #4 of 7
In answer to my own question, i bought a s/h marantz cd5400 as a transport and am very surprised by the difference between this and my old lg dvd as a transport. The cd5400 is night and day better using the same dac and heaphones. The sound has more clarity/depth and the voices are sublime in comparison.

I wonder if a dedicated cd transport would make another night/day difference - i suspect not but don't know.

d

Jun 14, 2021 at 7:52 PM Post #5 of 7
In answer to my own question, i bought a s/h marantz cd5400 as a transport and am very surprised by the difference between this and my old lg dvd as a transport. The cd5400 is night and day better using the same dac and heaphones. The sound has more clarity/depth and the voices are sublime in comparison.

I wonder if a dedicated cd transport would make another night/day difference - i suspect not but don't know.

d
Do the comparison blind next time.

Jun 14, 2021 at 9:15 PM Post #6 of 7
Edit:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back