Can anyone give me (and noobs) some cliffs?
Dec 14, 2010 at 1:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

gibson5469

Head-Fier
It's been awhile since I stayed up on IEM's, 2008 to be exact. ER6i and super.fi 3 were the defacto standard sub $100 offerings, and other smaller brands were just making an appearance. Still have my SCL4's, which I'm quite happy with. Got in the logitech super.fi 3 deal, and just kramer modded some FX35's for gym use.

Where do these phones stand today? I haven't seen a recommendation for any of them in quite some time. Etymotic has a million new offerings, triple.fi's keep popping up for $100, things are much different now lol.

Given $80, what would you choose and why? Would anything in this range be an upgrade to the SCL4 (perhaps a little over budget, not much)?

As a secondary question, anyone have experience with the MEE M6 in comparison to the phones listed above. Worth grabbing for $13?

Thanks in advance for any responses! I have done quite a bit of reading but cliff's are much appreciated

Dec 14, 2010 at 12:40 PM Post #2 of 11
really? not a single response. man this place is helpful

Dec 14, 2010 at 2:57 PM Post #4 of 11
What exactly do you want?  This:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/478568/multi-iem-review-125-iems-compared-sony-xb40ex-ex85-added-12-08
Plus the search button will give you anything you need.  You'll have to excuse us for not waiting on you hand and foot, giving you a complete summary of head-fi.org in one post.  If you ask less nonsensical questions, we can help.  The $99 triplefi is a once or twice a year special that UE does to generate publicity about their company. 

For $80, I'd get the $35 sale Superfi 3 right now and pocket the rest.  Otherwise, I'd go by joker's guide in the link above, most likely the Soundmagic.

Dec 14, 2010 at 5:22 PM Post #6 of 11
for 80 dollars, I personally find that the SCL4s are really really hard to beat.

For me, the only ones I can really recommend are the Head-direct IEMs, such as the RE-0 / zero and maybe the 252 / 262 if you want to up your budget.

But IEMs are a huge preferance thing.  I've given away / sold every IEM but UE 700s and the SCL4s because I felt like those two were the two best overall IEMs for my budget (I got the UE700 for 70 bucks)

Dec 14, 2010 at 8:22 PM Post #7 of 11

Quote:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/478568/multi-iem-review-125-iems-compared-sony-xb40ex-ex85-added-12-08
Plus the search button will give you anything you need.  You'll have to excuse us for not waiting on you hand and foot, giving you a complete summary of head-fi.org in one post.  If you ask less nonsensical questions, we can help.  The $99 triplefi is a once or twice a year special that UE does to generate publicity about their company. 

For $80, I'd get the $35 sale Superfi 3 right now and pocket the rest.  Otherwise, I'd go by joker's guide in the link above, most likely the Soundmagic.

Obviously I read through that as the first resource, to be honest it's a ton of information on a ton of phones. I guess the table provides the best reference for comparing the different classes (going by the average score). With that said, it's missing the stated main stream offerings of the $60 - $100 class. How would you compare the Soundmagic pl50 to the er6i? to the super.fi 3? Heck, any of the sub $100+- Shures/Monster/Klipsch/Sennheiser.

As far as the search is concerned, you will come up with more useless threads than anything else. As long as I've been a member here people want nothing to do with noobs picking out first IEM's which leads to more of these threads. Ironic huh?

Dec 14, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #8 of 11

don't choose based on the numbers/ratings, for example, the RE0 get's very high marks but the sound sig isn't for everyone since they aren't very bassy, if possible, go to a audio store that let's you test out heaphones, find one that you really like, and search what others describe as their sound sig and go from there

Quote:

Quote:

Obviously I read through that as the first resource, to be honest it's a ton of information on a ton of phones. I guess the table provides the best reference for comparing the different classes (going by the average score). With that said, it's missing the stated main stream offerings of the $60 - $100 class. How would you compare the Soundmagic pl50 to the er6i? to the super.fi 3? Heck, any of the sub $100+- Shures/Monster/Klipsch/Sennheiser.

As far as the search is concerned, you will come up with more useless threads than anything else. As long as I've been a member here people want nothing to do with noobs picking out first IEM's which leads to more of these threads. Ironic huh?

Dec 15, 2010 at 11:38 AM Post #9 of 11
^ OT, but has anyone actually been able to do that? [EDIT: "audio store that LET'S you test...". Doh! Nevermind :p]
I tried to test some m50's at a Guitar Center, but they said it was against health protocols?? But yeah, obviously that would be the best way to find one to your liking :) You could also pm the reviewers directly, asking if they've compared, say, the pl50 to the superfi3. If your nice about it, they might help you. 

Dec 17, 2010 at 7:57 PM Post #10 of 11
I think the Guitar Center employees were assuming that you would just be wasting their time.  Every Guitar Center is different.  There is one in the city I went to school in that had a huge rack of headphones where you could pretty much any headphone that they sold.  In the city where my girlfriend goes to school, they don't have anything like that, but I was asking the employees about the difference and they told me, "Any one you are serious about considering, just let us know and we can open one up to let you test."

If it were a health issue, then how do Bose, Monster, Sony, etc. all have those pre-made headphone test stands at places like Best Buy, Staples, etc?  I even saw one test stand with the Lady Gaga Heartbeats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back