Can anyone compare the Beyer DT 231 against the AKG K26P
Mar 5, 2006 at 5:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

c0mfortably_numb

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello,

For my portable rig I have a pair of AKG K26 P's...IMHO after listening to them for several months now I can not say I am enjoying them. To start with the build quality leaves much to be desired, they feel very fragile in hand. Then there is the comfort or lack of in any case. There is 2 pads on the self adjusting band that press into your head, also as I walk the band makes a creaking sound that really effects the quality of the music.

Sound wise, they seem to really be lacking in the mids, and highs...They have plenty of bass. After listening to my Sen's and my Grado's when I get in I just find it hard to listen to these AKG cans, they just don't compare.

So I started looking around and I came upon the Beyerdynamic DT 231, there non foldable but still a sealed can, which I guess I need...I will be listening to these at work (but only during breaks, so either in the noisy lunch room or outside when I go for my walks)

Has anyone herd the Beyerdynamic's and what is your impression? Also if you don't think these will be any better then what I have now, what are some further recomendations...I prefer to stick to conventional headsets, as oppossed to IEM's or ear buds (ouch)

I also like the one side cable entry of these Beyers, the cable on the AKG K26 really sucks, it always twists up to my neck.

..::EDIT::..
Forgot to mention music style...I mainly listen to classic rock, rock, alternative rock

Thanks in advance...
Dennis

Mar 5, 2006 at 5:32 AM Post #2 of 10
This is no contest. The dt231 is one of the best values for under $100 and blow away the k26p. However, they aren't really closed but rather semi closed and do not isolate very much at all. I think you can get by with these for your uses, but if you need more isolation, you may want to think about the ath-fc7. They are a step down in sound quality from the dt231 but a definite step up from the k26p and provide some isolation.

Mar 5, 2006 at 5:43 AM Post #3 of 10
TenaciousO,

Thanks for the reply, wow so they are semi? According to what I read on headroom I was under the impression they were sealed. Semi would be great. I don't really care for the sound of these totally sealed headphones, there umm to up in my ears with there presence, I feel like the opens such as my grados just have a more spacious sound. The only reason I went with the K26 was headroom was saying they were so good
rolleyes.gif
and to try to block enviroment noise a little.

Jun 22, 2006 at 7:22 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by TenaciousO
Yeah, they're listed as sealed, but they really aren't. If you don't need all that much isolation, the dt231 is a good choice.

So then, your neighbors in a cube situation at work could hear these phones?

That's what's still forcing me to use Sony V600s (which I despise) over the Gracos and Senns I have at home.

Jun 22, 2006 at 6:25 PM Post #7 of 10
Having used DT231s in the past, I cannot recommend using these in any environment that isn't fairly quiet to begin with. They are no bass monsters and fairly bright, which together with the only modest isolation (check the Headroom graph; a mod can apparently improve this) makes them unsuited for noisier places. To make matters worse, I was using a portable radio with rather crummy frequency response (most notably bass light and aggressive) at the time. Suffice to say it didn't take long until I got problems with ringing in my ears after using this combo on the bus. My K26Ps, together with an eye on volume, have improved this greatly.

As office cans, DT231s actually wouldn't be half bad if you get along with their sonic signature (sucked-out upper mids with brightness on top), they leak a good bit less than open cans and once the pads are broken in they're actually quite comfortable.

Jun 22, 2006 at 7:56 PM Post #8 of 10
For your use, DO NOT get the dt231. I got on with their sound signature just fine,but if annoying creaking while you walk annoys you, I repeat DO NOT get these cans. The headband is comfy whilst still, but walking it becomes a creak-tastic monster.

I prefer to use my HD201 for this purpose, but they are not to everybody's taste.

Jun 22, 2006 at 8:06 PM Post #9 of 10
I forgot to update this thread, I did get the headphones around march 20th...and I'm pretty happy with them over say the K26P...The headband is an issue but I was reading on another post that you can take the headband out with the removal of 2 screws...undecided if I want to do that right now...Right now I mainly use them as my nightstand headphones, but I like them well enough that I am thinking of going up the line to the DT880.

Jun 23, 2006 at 6:47 AM Post #10 of 10
read the signature, my 81 djs are good but I've never heard the beyers so my opinion is invalid. but anyway, the 26ps blow, and blow hard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back