Can anybody give me some advice please?
Nov 15, 2002 at 9:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

PinkFloyd

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi,

I am using the standard 12V AC 500ma "wallwart" that came supplied with the musical fidelity X- Can V2.

I have heard great reports about the MF X-PSU but can't manage to source one in the UK at the present time.

The UK specifications of the X-PSU are:

Input: AC 230V 50hz
Output: AC 12V 20 VA

Now here is my question:

I have a Toroidal Transformer rated at the following:

Input: AC 230V 50hZ
Output: AC 12V 50 VA

Its "VA" is 50VA compared to the X-PSU's 20VA which shouldn't prove to be a problem or should it??

There is no need for a rectifier or capacitors as the power supply is AC to AC and therefore doesn't need these components to convert to DC.

So... taking all this into consideration will it just be a case of me connecting the toroidals inputs to the mains and running a connector to the X-Can from the toroidals 12v output ?

I will probably be connecting an off off switch to the power supply and maybe an LED that will light when the power is on.

Is there anything "obvious" that I have missed out here and are there any other components I should be configuring into the Toroidal?

My only slight concern was the higher VA rating of my transformer (compared to the X-PSU) but surely it's better having "too much" current on tap rather than not enough?

Your comments will be very much appreciated.

Pinkie

Nov 15, 2002 at 11:24 PM Post #2 of 3
Hi PinkFloyd,

The 50VA will not be problem. It may sound better than the 20va.

You may want to look at the internal ps circuit of the X-can. There may be something there to improve upon.

Nov 16, 2002 at 3:31 AM Post #3 of 3
Pinkie,

The volt/amp rating should only tell you mazimum current handling capabilities of the transformer. As long as the output voltage is the same, max output current is limited only by what the unit draws thru it. Have at it!!!

The torodial transformer is quite a piece of work, and should be all you need!! It also acts as a noise filter, and quite a good one at that, so you are getting the added benefit of noise rejection to boot!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back