Can an iPod be a decent source?
Feb 7, 2008 at 10:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

texashorn91

100+ Head-Fier
I am currently in the market for a good DAC, but since I have seen nothing in my price range that completely blows me away I am seeking a bedside rig that consists of iPod -> Little Dot MKII -> HD650. I have never used the iPod's line out before and I am wondering how it sounds as a source. I won't be using a really expensive line out cable either, something less than $100. I just would like another source to compare it to, or maybe this is a completely stupid idea and would be a waste of money. Tell me the truth Head-Fi
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks!

Feb 7, 2008 at 11:01 PM Post #2 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by texashorn91 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am currently in the market for a good DAC, but since I have seen nothing in my price range that completely blows me away I am seeking a bedside rig that consists of iPod -> Little Dot MKII -> HD650. I have never used the iPod's line out before and I am wondering how it sounds as a source. I won't be using a really expensive line out cable either, something less than $100. I just would like another source to compare it to, or maybe this is a completely stupid idea and would be a waste of money. Tell me the truth Head-Fi
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks!

Maybe you should buy a really long cable for the HD650 and run it for the bedside rig.
biggrin.gif
Buy a remote for a desktop source. Portability and quality costs a mad premium. You can just look at my profile.

There is only one portable source I can think of that I consider almost worthy to a desktop one. It costs a lot more then those to me (iMod + vCap). Very little in a modest price range is likely to blow many away.

Feb 8, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #4 of 22
I wouldn't use it as a source if I were you. It might be fine for now, but you'll see its limitations really fast. If you are going to use it anyway, at least go lossless with the files.

Feb 8, 2008 at 2:53 AM Post #5 of 22
Most of the music (~75%) will be in lossless format. Will it be better than a line out of a stock computer sound card? I know I am a cheapo, but if I really want fidelity I listen out of the turntable. I just like the convenience of an iPod of course. I just don't want to waste money.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 8, 2008 at 7:02 AM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by texashorn91 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...I have seen nothing in my price range that completely blows me away...

Chances are an iPod won't either...

However, I think the comments made so far are a little harsh.

The main strength you have going for your system IMO is the HD650s - still my favorite cans! There is certainly the potential for some awesome sound there...

I think your 'iPod as source' is a great idea for many reasons. You have a huge selection of great quality (but still cheap) docks available, you can use it as a portable if the mood takes you, upgrade it to an iMod later down the track if you want a 'little more'... and last, the sound really isn't that damn bad from an iPod anyway!

I haven't had the chance to listen to as many amps as I would like, but there are plenty out there to choose from - I would suggest that your amp choice is likely to be the thing that means your rig ends up sounding either 'nice' or 'amazing' so look into all options within your price range!

My only other suggestion is to consider an iRiver with optical out (like the HP120 etc). Great player (though a little dated) which would allow you to add a DAC later. The ability to add a DAC at some point has the potential to give you the biggest boost in sound quality you're likely to achieve in such a system.

Good luck!

Feb 8, 2008 at 10:40 PM Post #7 of 22
Well, I think I'm just going to try it out. It will probably be comparable to the cheapo line out of my PC. So if I want a decent source bad enough I'll just use my turntable. Thanks guys.

Feb 8, 2008 at 10:59 PM Post #8 of 22
Texashorn91, you are following the same rough route I'm planning, but with modded HD 580's, and I'll be building my amps and likely LOD. I think it is a great way to go as far as convenience and initial cost. From here, you can get a DAC and use a laptop, go the imod route, or decide that LOD from an iPod is just fine (I suspect this is where I'll end up). Go forth and enjoy. IF it doesn't work, the upgrade path can always be paved with $ from your wallet...

Feb 9, 2008 at 12:32 AM Post #9 of 22
Here's your solution amigo.... Use your iPod for the next 30 days. By that time the Wadia digital iPod dock should be available to order at $349. Then you get the best of both worlds without sacrificing your portability on the go and your fidelity while at home.
wink.gif
You can hook the Wadia's analog outs directly to an amp if you wish to use the iPod's DAC section as a source -- or you can get bit-perfect digital out from your iPod by hooking up a digital interconnect to the Wadia and then to an external DAC (if you are going to get one in the future when your budget may allow).

Feb 9, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's your solution amigo.... Use your iPod for the next 30 days. By that time the Wadia digital iPod dock should be available to order at $349. Then you get the best of both worlds without sacrificing your portability on the go and your fidelity while at home.
wink.gif
You can hook the Wadia's analog outs directly to an amp if you wish to use the iPod's DAC section as a source -- or you can get bit-perfect digital out from your iPod by hooking up a digital interconnect to the Wadia and then to an external DAC (if you are going to get one in the future when your budget may allow).

Cool deal. I really haven't been paying enough attention lately. So the real deal is finally going to hit the market
tongue.gif

Feb 9, 2008 at 4:27 AM Post #11 of 22
IPodPJ: good idea, I thought it was going to be more than $350. The problem is buying such a good transport will make me want to buy a great DAC to pair it with. Me and my wallet are not too excited about that.

Feb 10, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #12 of 22
Why don't you just get an iRiver H120 or H140? they have optical out, which can connect to any out board DAC/AMP setup.

Feb 11, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #13 of 22
After so many years, my thought is there is not exactly answer. Either audiophile or headphile, you can play whatever you like when it is affordable - and this is the most interesting part. However, the most important thing is you can enjoy the sounds you favorite.

Feb 11, 2008 at 6:57 PM Post #14 of 22
The quality of the audio using an iPod's line out is determined by the quality of the files you put on it. The iPod's DAC and line out circuitry is just as good as most home CD players. Encode at a bitrate that doesn't artifact, and you'll have all the sound quality you could ever want.

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back