Can an headphones truely have a BASS ?!
Nov 11, 2008 at 6:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

HeadLover

1000+ Head-Fier
I am having the Grado GS1000
And I had HD595 from shinn, and I heard AKG K701 and many others (Sony and so on)

But
I never got that same "feeling" like when using a sub for bass
I mean, sure bass from headphones can get very low and nice, but it isn't "earthshaking"

So, can it be? can headphones have a good bass? or must I use a sub ?
What do you think?

I think the only thing that I miss when using headphones is bass !

Nov 11, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #2 of 45
try the pro 900 from ultrasone
smily_headphones1.gif
you will get that feeling.

Nov 11, 2008 at 6:51 PM Post #3 of 45
Headphones cannot rattle the windows and furnishings like a subwoofer can, but headphones can provide a very convincing simulation of reality.

For example, when I owned the HD595 and was listening to a beginning part of the movie "The Matrix", I was frightened and convinced an earthquake or something was coming, until I regained my wits enough to pull off the headphones and then realize it was the just movie.

So if you want to "feel" the bass more than around your head, you'll need a subwoofer and that really can add to the realism. It is a question of to what extent you want or need to go to perceive a level of realism. I don't have a need for a subwoofer, and have been quite convinced by the "perception" of earth shaking bass with headphones when watching movies. But again, a subwoofer really can take it up another level.

Nov 11, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #4 of 45
Of course they wont shake your window that would be scary if they could
smily_headphones1.gif

But they will certainly be much more sub like than the k701.

Nov 11, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #5 of 45
No. That type of bass requires a lot of moving air, and headphone drivers being only couple of cm wide they wont move a lot of air. Especially with open headphones all that little moving air vanishes in the nothingness of your listening room so you can only hear the bass, not feel it.

However, in closed headphones it is possible to make a bass that you feel. There the drivers have very little airspace so the air can be felt vibrating in louder volumes. Closed Ultrasones, DT770, practically all closed headphones with strong and deep reaching bass can be felt around and in your ears. This is something open headphones cant do and closest thing to feeling the bass without adding external subwoofer to your headphone system. (a thing some people have succesfully implemented btw. of course, open headphones required this time)

Nov 11, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #7 of 45
The OP wants "true" bass, and that is a matter of perception. For it to be true, it must be perceived as real. And the perception of what is real with headphones or headphones with a subwoofer will always be a matter of degree or level; it will never be 100% all the time perceived as real or true. And so, the question is to what level or degree an individual's perception of realism is desired and is satisfactorily experienced. And that depends on the combination of the headphones/equipment, the media, the listener, and optionally a subwoofer or subwoofers. For some, the desired level of realism can be obtained from headphones without a subwoofer. For others, this would be with a subwoofer or subwoofers and maybe some bass shakers too.

Nov 11, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #8 of 45
popcorn.gif
this thread should last a while.

No, headphones Cannot make you FEEL your EBM when its blasting, but it can rattle the phones off your head if you want them to. Even the cheapest headphones can rattle your head withe proper amplification and the needed EQ...but I wouldn;t count on the overall sound quality to be very high-fidelity.

Nov 11, 2008 at 7:31 PM Post #9 of 45
Headphone sure can have bass.
Not rattle shaking physical bass, that you feel through you entire body. But bass extension, punch, body, .. that complete the listening experience.

Try a Stax SR-007 and you will know what I talk about.
o2smile.gif

Nov 11, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #10 of 45
I see that you are talking about the hd 595.
I compared that briefly to the hd 650 after I bought my hd650 a long time ago and they were weaker than the hd 650.
The hd 650 has less bass than the ultrasones that I own now and still the pro 900 is the one that actually feels like it has a subwoofer.
Please do listen to the pro 900 and you will believe .
My volume knob is at ~ 15% 20%, I dont need tinnitus
wink_face.gif

Nov 11, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #11 of 45
There are indeed tradeoffs with using speakers and headphones. No headphone shall provide the visceral nature and wave nodes that speakers and/or live music will project through the entire body, period. Noteworthy to mention is that imaging and overall layering of the various bass frequencies is difficult but rewarding task to obtain precision in conjunction with speakers and/or headphones.

This said, when properly amped, the L3000 has some of the best marks in the low band of any headphone I have ever heard, as does the he90.

Nov 11, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #12 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadLover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never got that same "feeling" like when using a sub for bass
I mean, sure bass from headphones can get very low and nice, but it isn't "earthshaking"

Duh.

It's physically impossible for a 30-50 mm driver to replicate the bass of a subwoofer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back