Can an eye glass lens cleaner be for camara?
Sep 7, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #4 of 16
No Limit - The music Video. Click here. That's your answer there (just remove the "limit" and concentrate on the "no" part though)

Oh well, since I am on the verge of derailing this thread within an hour after it's created, I might as well say something useful:
The standard way to clean lens is, first get a blower (the camera blower you get from camera shop, not the leaf blower type) and blow the blowable dust first, then use a very very fine haired brush and brush away all the brushable remaining particles (preferably with lens tilted so particles fall off but be careful when doing this) and then finish it off with Lenspen with circular motion starting from the centre, but make sure the smudge is lenspenable one. What I mean is, don't lenspen it if you can still see small dust particles because you might drag the dust and it will leave micro scuff on the surface.

This method should take care of most smudges. And as they say, "if you can't clean it with a lenspen, then you're F**'ed)

Also if you are into using the solution based one, just be very conservative on the amount because it might leave residue. And don't drop it on the lens but just drop a tiny drop on a new, fine microfibre cloth. And again, make sure there are no dust particles.

And whatever you do, never try using a vacuum cleaner on the lens. There are two major things a man SHOULDN'T do with a vacuum cleaner at home: 1st - don't try cleaning your lens with it hoping it will suck all the dust out. 2nd: - Do I really have to say it?

Sep 7, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #6 of 16
7415.jpg

With a microfiber cloth.

I like using it on my glasses, too.

Sep 7, 2009 at 3:45 PM Post #7 of 16
I have been having luck with this microfiber cloth made by Nikon. It's small and attaches to your camera. I use an edge of the cloth to gently sweep away visible dust particles, then rub away any smudges.

Sep 7, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #8 of 16
Let's give Mocok a warning for excessive randomness. :d

Sep 7, 2009 at 4:03 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by slytown /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let's give Mocok a warning for excessive randomness. :d

Now don't you try to cabbage patch this lovely thread, what day is today?

Sep 7, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #11 of 16
Avoid the Lenspen. It is a mildly abrasive graphite powder which polishes by abrading some of the expensive anti-reflection coatings on your lens.

Microfiber works very well, but if you reuse your cloths, there is always a risk a grain of grit may get trapped in it and act like sandpaper.

My recommendation is to use:
1) a camel-hair brush to whisk away dust
2) canned air to blow stubborn particles
3) Zeiss disposable lens-cleaning towelettes for the finish

Sep 8, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #12 of 16
You got your coating damaged with lenspen Majid?
If so I would love to see the pic because this is interesting - been using it for a long time never had a problem.

Sep 8, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #13 of 16
I use the cleaning cloth/bag that comes with my oakleys. I always keep it in my gear bag. Bigger than most cleaning clothes, and if you use the inside, it stays a bit protected than the outside of the bag.

Sep 9, 2009 at 5:20 AM Post #15 of 16
I use a microfiber cloth to wipe my lenses. Mine is attached to a little stretchy pouch that you shove it into when not in use, so it keeps the cloth clean from dust and stuff.

As well, if you have expensive glass, get a decent UV filter on it and never take it off... then you can stop worrying about touching the lens with anything, especially your greasy fingers!

Spudz microfiber cloth I use.
SPUDZ%2018%20PERCENT%20GREY.jpg

I'm a hobbiest or "prosumer" photographer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back