Can a new CPU/Motherboard Improve Image and Sound Quality?
May 30, 2007 at 1:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Zorander

Headphoneus Supremus
I saw this discussion thread on another board. I'm of the opinion that there should not be a difference but the OP is adamant there is. The rest of the board members (who are mostly PC enthusiasts) can't offer much on this.

So it got me thinking: What do head-fiers think?
wink.gif

Quote:

I just changed desktop computers and went from an AMD KT 800 A 3200+ to an Intel P965 e6400. Although I did expect the new computer to be faster and I feel that the sound and image quality are noticably better.

Although with the videocard I wonder if its the difference between PCI express and AGP because I went from a 1950 Pro AGP to a 7800 GT. However there is a noticable improvement in image quality. Who knows it could just be the videocard itself.

There is one thing that I did not expect,an improvement in sound quality. Music for some reason sounds more detailed on the new MB/CPU combo, with the same same soundcard. (EMU-1212).

However it could also be due to the power supply. Although my new power supply is rated for less power I feel that its actually somewhat beefier than the Antec 650 watt true power. This motherboard orginally wouldn’t even turn on with the Antec while I was able to get to turn on and not post with the other power supply, note that I finally figured out that Intel branded 965 MB’s do not like Crucial memory.

Or is simply a CPU issue. Perhaps with more CPU power its simply easier for the computer to perform more at a higher level?

Any thoughts?

May 30, 2007 at 1:55 AM Post #2 of 7
I don't think that the motherboard and CPU should have significant effect on sound or video quality.

With regards to sound quality, it might be the case that a new motherboard and CPU affect the EMI signature of the system for the better, but I find that hard to believe that it would be that different. In addition, a nVidia 7800 GT probably uses more power than a X1950, which means that it would probably cause more interference, if anything, given that sound cards in close proximity to video cards is the most common cause of noticeable EMI in a PC. Thus, I'm not sure about the improvement in sound quality, though if the whole involved a reformat there may be a software/driver explanation.

In terms of video quality, a significant portion of that depends on the quality of RAMDACs and other on-card elements. The X1950 might've had lower quality filters and/or RAMDACs than the replacement nvidia and that is more likely to account for any perceived difference in quality. The other possibility is the drivers, which can also have significant effects on image quality in both 2D and 3D applications.

May 30, 2007 at 2:11 AM Post #3 of 7
It's possible a motherboard and power supply change can affect quality if the parts being used are better. The same goes with the video card. Because there are so many combinations of parts, it's impossible to for sure say you'd get an upgrade with such and such.

I run modified versions of all of those because I want better performance. I honestly thing the differences aren't that great with stock components. I'm sure most people won't notice the differences.

May 30, 2007 at 2:15 AM Post #4 of 7
I would vote for the power supply. If it's a "cleaner" supply, it would make a difference with more detail. The fact that it had less power would not be a factor compared to the load of the rest of the computer.

May 30, 2007 at 3:40 AM Post #5 of 7
I think he's nuts. Power is a pretty minor factor in SQ to begin with, let alone the computer's power quality...all the other components in the PC would negate any minor benefits from that. It's all in his head. Better sound *and* video quality from mobo and CPU?!? He's just finding more reasons to love himself for upgrading his computer.

--Illah

May 30, 2007 at 5:40 AM Post #7 of 7
video card possible. in gaming, video cards put out different PQ. originally ati held the lead, and now its nvidia (i think they`re on par).

noise from the psu could affect a analog output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back