Can a $7000 amplifier be a bargain?
Aug 14, 2008 at 6:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Yikes

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 26, 2004
Posts
2,575
Likes
38
My system http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f113/p...5/#post4481127 was sounding excellent. I had the Bel Cantos on loan and they had to go back. I had to decide if I was going to buy a pair. I shipped the REF1000's back and stuck my Jadis Defy 7 (Siltech output wiring) back into the system (I love the sound of my Jadis, the only reason I'm even looking for different amplification is that the Jadis just doesn't have enough power for my Very Large listening room (30'x70')). The Bel Cantos are an amazing bargain for $4000/pr, but excluding absolute output capability my 12 year old Jadis Defy 7 ($7000+ when new, the current version is over $13,000) was clearly better. Hmmm... so I upped the budget and ordered a pair of Parasound JC 1 mono-block amplifiers. I'd heard them and liked them before so I decided to gamble on how they would work in my system.

The JC 1's are hooked up and in the system, right out of the box I'm liking what I'm hearing. It's too soon to tell for sure, but it appears that they don't suck
bigsmile_face.gif
. I'll miss the small, light and cool running Bel Canto's, but I'm already liking the sound of the JC 1's more.

I'll post updated system pictures in the systems thread.

Maybe now I can start saving for a Woo Audio WA-5LE.
 
Aug 14, 2008 at 7:01 PM Post #2 of 17

braillediver

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 9, 2002
Posts
4,547
Likes
22
Yes!

If it gives that ear to ear grin, makes you smile when you look at it, encourages you to make time during a busy day to hear it, you look forward to listening to it, it makes your music collection interesting, lets your music sound new and fresh- Then it was money well spent.

Congratulations Mitch
 
Aug 14, 2008 at 7:47 PM Post #3 of 17

4N6

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 23, 2006
Posts
893
Likes
29
Very good choice!!! The Parasound JC1's are my favorite SS monoblock amp for the money, and compared to the competition (Krell, Mark Levinson, Pass), are a tremendous value. I sold them only because I wanted to go the tube monoblock route and have a small room so didn't need their awesome output capability. Pair them with the JC2 preamplifier and you will have a killer amplification system.
 
Aug 15, 2008 at 3:34 AM Post #4 of 17

vcoheda

High-End Forum Volunteer
Joined
Nov 10, 2004
Posts
10,102
Likes
176
congrats on the purchase. sounds awesome.
 
Aug 15, 2008 at 3:40 AM Post #5 of 17

cAsE sEnSiTiVe

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 24, 2008
Posts
566
Likes
107
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes!

If it gives that ear to ear grin, makes you smile when you look at it, encourages you to make time during a busy day to hear it, you look forward to listening to it, it makes your music collection interesting, lets your music sound new and fresh- Then it was money well spent.

Congratulations Mitch



There it is, in a nutshell.

The JC1's are great amps that can deliver a lot of current, yet sound very refined. Enjoy your new purchase!
 
Aug 15, 2008 at 8:38 AM Post #6 of 17

panda

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 9, 2006
Posts
1,368
Likes
11
i don't think anything that's above the middle ground in the price bracket of said product class can be considered a bargain. i do however think that there are better price/perf buys in any price bracket. but this thread doesn't really seem like you're actually looking for an answer to the question of your post. instead are you looking to seek opinions to persuading you into thinking that you made the right choice?

how does the parasound compare to your original amp? did you consider any other amps before going with the jc1? i've only heard their older hca line and wasn't a fan. at that price there are tons of options depending on what your tastes are. how would you describe the characteristics/temperaments of your speakers?
 
Aug 15, 2008 at 1:42 PM Post #7 of 17

Yikes

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 26, 2004
Posts
2,575
Likes
38
Quote:

Originally Posted by panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but this thread doesn't really seem like you're actually looking for an answer to the question of your post. instead are you looking to seek opinions to persuading you into thinking that you made the right choice?


You are correct Sir, the question was rhetorical. I'm really just sharing my excitement about the arrival of my new toys. Persuading me? The only thing that will "persuade" me is how they sound after a few hundred hours.
Quote:

Originally Posted by panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how does the parasound compare to your original amp? did you consider any other amps before going with the jc1? i've only heard their older hca line and wasn't a fan. at that price there are tons of options depending on what your tastes are. how would you describe the characteristics/temperaments of your speakers?


If you had read my OP you'd have read that I have been using two very different amps with my current speakers (Usher BE20). You'd also have read that my room is VERY LARGE and that I need very high power. There are hardly Tons of amps that meet my requirements. And No, I'm not looking for system advice.
 
Aug 15, 2008 at 1:51 PM Post #8 of 17

Yikes

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 26, 2004
Posts
2,575
Likes
38
Oh.. and Thanks to those who congratulated me on my new arrival. Break-in is well under weigh, so my Air Conditioning is going to be working overtime for the next couple of weeks.

It's too early to tell, but last night I did enjoy listening into the wee hours.
 
Aug 15, 2008 at 2:55 PM Post #9 of 17

tkam

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 9, 2002
Posts
2,207
Likes
103
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
Congrats on the JC-1's those are very nice amps. But on the subject of the bel canto amps they are actually quite expensive at $4k you can get the exact same ice power modules in amps from smaller manufacturers like D-Sonic and Wyred4Sound for far less money.
 
Aug 15, 2008 at 4:29 PM Post #10 of 17

4N6

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 23, 2006
Posts
893
Likes
29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Break-in is well under weigh, so my Air Conditioning is going to be working overtime for the next couple of weeks.


Yes, they do run a wee bit warm, don't they? Especially true if you are using the "High Bias" mode. In my small 9x7 room, the heat at times made listening a little uncomfortable. Oh, but the sound...
biggrin.gif
 
Aug 15, 2008 at 5:54 PM Post #11 of 17

Yikes

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 26, 2004
Posts
2,575
Likes
38
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4N6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, they do run a wee bit warm, don't they? Especially true if you are using the "High Bias" mode. In my small 9x7 room, the heat at times made listening a little uncomfortable. Oh, but the sound...
biggrin.gif



High bias, yes.

Small room? 9 meters x 7 meters isn't exactly small. If your room is 9 feet x 7 feet it's not small, it's positively TINY!
eek.gif
I can imagine the heat making it uncomfortable, you have to be sitting on top of the freaking amps!
 
Aug 15, 2008 at 6:02 PM Post #12 of 17

Yikes

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 26, 2004
Posts
2,575
Likes
38
Quote:

Originally Posted by tkam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats on the JC-1's those are very nice amps. But on the subject of the bel canto amps they are actually quite expensive at $4k you can get the exact same ice power modules in amps from smaller manufacturers like D-Sonic and Wyred4Sound for far less money.


Thanks. As far a D-Sonic goes; I don't trust a company that has to use computer generated graphics to show their products. They can't even muster up a photograph? The very definition of rinky dink.

The Wyred4Sound stuff looks much more viable. It appears that the cost difference is basically the missing retail mark-up.

The Ice amps do little to offend, but ultimately I found them lacking.
 
Aug 15, 2008 at 6:38 PM Post #13 of 17

tkam

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 9, 2002
Posts
2,207
Likes
103
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
They have a link to photos on the bottom of the page and yes the missing retail mark-up is the big cost savings. It still is a big savings though
smily_headphones1.gif
 
Aug 15, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #14 of 17

4N6

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 23, 2006
Posts
893
Likes
29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
High bias, yes.

Small room? 9 meters x 7 meters isn't exactly small. If your room is 9 feet x 7 feet it's not small, it's positively TINY!
eek.gif
I can imagine the heat making it uncomfortable, you have to be sitting on top of the freaking amps!



I just measured my room and I underestimated its vast size. It is a whopping 10x9 feet, not the paltry 9x7 foot listening room of my guesstimate.

This is just a fact of life here in Oahu as the homes (at least the semi-affordable ones, that is) are small. Hence tube amps and small speakers. I must say, however, once you get used to nearfield listening, the intimacy achieved is hard to give up.

Somewhat like good headphone listening!!!
smily_headphones1.gif
 
Aug 15, 2008 at 9:54 PM Post #15 of 17

tom hankins

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 13, 2003
Posts
5,730
Likes
15
Congrats on your amps. I used them for almost two years before upgrading to the Ayre V-1XE, and now have settled in with Krell FPB650M monoblocks. I dont see myself leaving the Krell amps. (except to get the X series, or evolutions)

BTW, in answer to the thread title, Yes $7K amps and be a super nice bargin.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top